Oil finish over water dye? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 2 Post By Jim Frye
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 12 Old 07-09-2018, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

View Unsoluble's Photo Album My Photos
Oil finish over water dye?

It's pretty clear that you can't mix water-based dyes with oil-based finishes, at least in terms of physically mixing the two before applying. But what I can't find a lot of concrete information on is whether or not it's okay to mix them as applied-and-dried layers can you do a water-based dye coat, let it dry/cure, then do oil-based finish coats after that, without any ill effect?

(Specifically thinking of dyeing with something like a Transtint, with Arm-r-Seal on top.)

Thanks!
john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-09-2018, 08:50 PM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
I've been experimenting on some scraps of maple for some cabinet doors I'm building.
1. I sealed with water based shellac - let dry
2. Sanded with 220 to remove raised grain.
3. Applied 2 coats of water based dye - let dry.
4. Applied 2 coats of high gloss varathane
5. Applied a final coat satin varathane to tone down the gloss.

I did this about 3 months agoand there are no adhhesion issues so far.

Below is a pic although the colour didn't come through as it really looks in person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0644.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	363548  

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny
post #3 of 12 Old 07-09-2018, 08:51 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Putting an oil based finish over a water based dye or stain isn't a problem at all if the water has been dried out of the wood.

I wouldn't feel comfortable mixing a water based dye with an oil based stain and then applying it. I think they would mix like oil and water. There wouldn't be a problem putting a water based dye over an oil based stain if the oil based stain was completely dry.
difalkner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-09-2018, 09:00 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
Oil based top coat over water based dye (TransTint or powdered) is fine as long as the dye is fully dried in the wood. Been doing it for decades with no issues. I've even used danish oil over water based dye with no problems.
difalkner and mjadams61 like this.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #5 of 12 Old 07-09-2018, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

View Unsoluble's Photo Album My Photos
Excellent. Thanks everyone!
post #6 of 12 Old 07-09-2018, 09:38 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoon View Post
I've been experimenting on some scraps of maple for some cabinet doors I'm building.
1. I sealed with water based shellac - let dry
2. Sanded with 220 to remove raised grain.
3. Applied 2 coats of water based dye - let dry.
4. Applied 2 coats of high gloss varathane
5. Applied a final coat satin varathane to tone down the gloss.

I did this about 3 months agoand there are no adhhesion issues so far.

Below is a pic although the colour didn't come through as it really looks in person.
I have not heard of water based shellac. Is this a typo or is there such a thing as a water based shellac?

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-09-2018, 10:29 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a can of Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac sitting around, Don, you'll note that clean-up can be accomplished with water. I don't know if that makes it water based, as in you can use water to thin it, but that's what's on the can. I see a listing at HD and Lowe's for water based shellac by Zinsser but I don't see the product when I go to the page. Personally, I use alcohol in shellac flakes.

Add me to the list of those who have used water based aniline dyes for 30+ years and then sprayed lacquer with no issues.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #8 of 12 Old 07-10-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
I have not heard of water based shellac. Is this a typo or is there such a thing as a water based shellac?
I got it from Lee Valley and use it thinned down as a sealer to prevent blotching.

Its difficult to get Bulls Eye Seal Coat (dewaxed) here.

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny
post #9 of 12 Old 07-10-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
There are products called water based shellac. It's difficult to say if it really is shellac or not. A lot of times they come up with a completely different product and slap a name on it that people recognize as a marketing ploy. For example everyone has heard of water based polyurethane. Everybody thinks because of the name it's the same as the oil based polyurethane but it isn't polyurethane at all. It's just an acrylic clear coating they stuck the name polyurethane on so people would buy it.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-10-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
There are products called water based shellac. It's difficult to say if it really is shellac or not. A lot of times they come up with a completely different product and slap a name on it that people recognize as a marketing ploy. For example everyone has heard of water based polyurethane. Everybody thinks because of the name it's the same as the oil based polyurethane but it isn't polyurethane at all. It's just an acrylic clear coating they stuck the name polyurethane on so people would buy it.
They call it Emtech and claim it's dewaxed shellac that they put through their Emulsion Technology Chemistry process.

Anyway works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0645.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	363590  

post #11 of 12 Old 07-10-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoon View Post
They call it Emtech and claim it's dewaxed shellac that they put through their Emulsion Technology Chemistry process.

Anyway works for me.
That's what I mean. They claim it's shellac but it's all kept a secret. They could put a trace of shellac in the can and call it shellac. I'm sure what ever it is works as described however you don't know how it will hold up over time. I have furniture in my house that was made in the 19th century finished with shellac and it may look aged but isn't coming off.
difalkner likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-17-2018, 07:33 PM

View Pondy's Photo Album My Photos
I have done water-based dyes and then shellac, no problems here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode