oil finish over filled pores - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 05-14-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
oil finish over filled pores

I'm planning to finish a piece of mahogany with oil. (just oil, not an "oil finish" that may contain other additives).

I want to fill the pores first. Will the pore filler impair the oil being absorbed properly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-14-2019, 02:54 PM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
do you have some scrap mahogany to practice on ?

-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --
post #3 of 7 Old 05-14-2019, 09:13 PM
Timber Wright-Guide

View Jay C. White Cloud's Photo Album My Photos
It can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
...Will the pore filler impair the oil being absorbed properly?
It can...It all depends...

Traditional "pore fillers" are often made with the finish itself...

There are many tradtional formulations, but a basic one is the "oil finish" itself (if natural/traditional?) mixed with a Mahogany color matching oxide powder, and high grade fine lime powder (i.e. calcium hydroxide - as found in grout, pozzolanic traditional cements, plaster)...Sawdust too from the species and type of Mahogany being worked can also be used with the lime and the oxide...or...some will just use the sawdust and lime alone...It depends of receipt.

Unfortunately most (?) of these formulations are very proprietary to those of use that use the traditional pore fillers. You will have to experiment to see what works best for you. Perhaps a deeper academic search for such methods many give more detail guidance? Its not a difficult process, but there are nuances to each formulation.

Tosa Tomo Designs
Confucius (551 BCE): "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand..." "...Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance..." Socrates:I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only help them think..."
Stephen Covey:"Seek to understand, before seeking to be understood..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-14-2019, 09:49 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What kind of oil do you intend to use? If linseed oil or tung oil and you used an oil based grain filler you could thin it with the oil you intend to use. A grain filler is usually so thick you can hardly stir it and would have to be thinned anyway. Linseed oil and tung oil would be compatible with the grain filler however linseed oil would dry a lot faster. Anyway a grain filler wouldn't block the absorbtion completely but would reduce it quite a bit.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-14-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I was thinking of using Timbermate. The guys on the guitar forum seem to like thinning it for use as a pore filler.

Supposedly, Timbermate absorbs stain, but I think all fillers claim that.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-15-2019, 08:20 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Timbermate is a water based grain filler. you would have to grain fill and oil in two steps. Once more do the grain filling in small areas. Once applied it could set up before you could wipe off the excess. Also be sure to tint the wood filler to the right color first. Otherwise it would show up the grain with little white spots.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-15-2019, 11:15 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Timbermate comes in various shades, My question would be about your oil only finish with no other additives. What might happen to the Timbermate filler if it was wiped later with a damp cloth...will it smear? I think it becomes permanent if a finish is applied over it to lock it under the finish.

Gary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode