Woodworking Talk banner

oil based stain over hemp oil

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  RNrunner 
#1 ·
I am testing out just using hemp oil instead of a stain. If I decide I want more color and want to use an oil based stain, do I have to remove the hemp oil with mineral spirits? Thanks!

#2 ·
RNrunner, well your choice, but I wouldn't do that. If I would consider about choosing a best oil for wood finished product, I would take something tested already, like Hope’s 100% pure tung oil. I've tried it twice, in the kitchen of my house, and in the uncle's house as well, and this is the best choice, I should admit. It gives the wood a brilliant shine and it's natural oil, and that's pretty important for me.

#3 ·
I tried it and it didn't looks so good on the wood that my table is made of. I liked it on the scrap wood. I am trying to stain now, but I'm battling with one piece that is uneven and not taking the stain well at all. The other pieces are fine. I don't know how to fix this! I tried applying it lighter on the one piece but I was still left with black marks and then the stain looks lighter than the other 2 pieces. It's almost like this is a different type of wood than the other 2.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.