Oak floor resurfacing, water damaged corner ideas - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 05-30-2014, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

View vgaler's Photo Album My Photos
Question Oak floor resurfacing, water damaged corner ideas

Hi All,

More questions from this rookie...

I've already sanded and restained/sealed the original oak hardwood floors in my 1953 bungalow. Just tore up the carpet in another room and found what appears to be a water stain of some kind in the corner (see pics). The boards feel and sound solid in the area, but the gaps between the boards is now a little wider than the rest of the room where the water stain is. I am assuming that whatever was spilled on the floor here caused the boards to shrink just a little. Anyways, what is the "easy way" to deal with this? I am not looking to cut out and replace these boards as they still seem solid and not rotted, and I dont mind a little discoloration (I think it adds character) but the gaps bother me. Also, there are about a million little holes from staples I pulled up. Is there some sort of product that is like a liquid wood filler that I can spread over the floor before sanding it down to solve both of these problems? Any outside the box ideas are welcome!

Thanks for all the help gents!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	95718  

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	95719  

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	95720  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-30-2014, 01:28 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If it were me I would leave it along and go ahead and refinish it. Any hard putty you put in it won't stay and might damage the floor finish when it comes out making a worse looking spot. After you are completely done and the spot still bothers you, you might use a soft putty like Minwax Filler. You can just rub it in with your thumb and buff off the excess with a dry cloth. In the even there was further wood movement and it pushed it out it would be a easy fix to fill it again.

Tags
hardwood floor, oak floor, resurfacing, water damage, water stain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode