Oak Blanket Box - Finished Inside Now Blankets Smell - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-03-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

View baloo58's Photo Album My Photos
Oak Blanket Box - Finished Inside Now Blankets Smell

Happy New Year,
I built my wife an red oak blanket box and made the mistake of staining and varathaning the inside. Even after letting the inside air out for days, the blankets & sheets smell when they have been in there for a week or more. I really do not want to strip & sand the inside so can any one suggest something I can do to solve this problem.....thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-03-2009, 05:37 PM

View bradnailer's Photo Album My Photos
Have you considered lining the inside with cedar. I've made cedar chests out of oak then lined the inside with cedar tongue and groove about 1/4" thick I bought at the home center.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Rob

View Rob's Photo Album My Photos
The finish probably isn't cured yet. There is a difference between dry and cured. I would open the lid and let it sit, unoccupied for another few weeks.
If, when you put your nose right up to the finish and can't smell a thing, you should be safe.
I would get a few blocks of aromatic cedar and toss in with the blankets after it's cured. Great aroma and will help keep the bugs out.

Never lick a steak knife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
It could take some time to cure and it's still no guarantee that it won't smell. You could try a coat of dewaxed shellac, or a waterbased polyurethane.

post #5 of 7 Old 01-04-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

View baloo58's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks to all for the speedy replies

Hello,
Many thanks for all of the suggestions and I appreciate the quick response. I will air the blanket box out for a couple more weeks and see if that solves the problem. If not, I will try some of the other suggestions that were recommended.
It is very nice to find a woodworking forum where the members are so experienced and ready to help out others with their problems. Thank You.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

View smitty1967's Photo Album My Photos
I think I would try a couple small packets of silica crystals to see if they might absord odor. They're meant to absorb moisture in packing, right? Is a molecule of of polyurethane capable of being absorbed? Because that's what you get when you smell something---small molecules of that thing being inhaled.....

like, for instance, right now I'm inhaling a chuck roast with horseradish and whole carrots....

regards,
smitty
post #7 of 7 Old 01-05-2009, 08:12 PM
rag

View rag's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
It could take some time to cure and it's still no guarantee that it won't smell. You could try a coat of dewaxed shellac, or a waterbased polyurethane.

The man is correct....coat the inside with shellac, twice.

Tags
smells, stain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode