Non-yellowing ideas for my half bathroom. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 03-11-2011, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

View CedarRidgeSpice's Photo Album My Photos
Non-yellowing ideas for my half bathroom.

Hello all,

Just a brief introduction, my name is Michael, and I am 24 yrs old, and just purchased my first home. It is a log home on 5 heavily pined acres approximately 2.5 hour north of NYC, in Eldred, NY.

Anyways, I am installing a new kitchen with white pine 6"x6" support beams, and 3"x5.5" ceiling beams all roughcut, and 6" T&G knotty pine above the ceiling beams. I also am going to redo all of the interior walls, the outermost walls are the lightly stained logs, so I am going to finish the interior walls with 8" T&G to match the interior logs. I also have 1.5 bathrooms, the full bath I am going to follow the stain color of the rest of the house, with a poly-urethane to seal from moisture, any better recommended product to seal wood for bathroom use?

Now my half bath is what sparked my interest in joining, Ideally, I'd like 8" T&G on walls, and 6" on the ceiling, ALL unstained, and un polyed, basically installed in store bought condition, my favorite look. I only have a vanity, toilet in this half bath. I am concerned with water splashing from hand washing, and swelling, staining the unprotected wood. I would put a low gloss poly on it, but HATE the golden yellow it changes to.

Any ideas for me, that will seal the T&G white pine, with a low gloss? Or ideally NO gloss, just for this half bath?

I have a huge project for this house, and will probably post quite a bit. Please bare with me if I ask any usual questions.

I appreciate any input, VERY much, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-11-2011, 12:35 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I'm no finish expert, but I did paint houses for 8 years and used varnishes/poly's often. Waterbased poly's won't yellow like oil based ones. Shellac may be another option for you, sealing the wood but not affecting the color much. As always, try several options on scrap lumber and see what you like best. Hope this helps.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 4 Old 03-11-2011, 03:20 PM

View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
My wife and i just spent the last year or so doing something very close to what you are doing....essentially gutted a small little cabin and installed T&G new england white pine on the walls and ceiling in every room. I applied 3 coats of WB poly to everything and we are seeing virtually no yellowing or discoloration similar to what may occur with an oil based product. In the bathroom I applied a few more coats as it will get moisture from shower steam and hand washing etc. (The shower area itself has been tiled) It looks great. All that wood moves quite a bit, so if you have humidity levels that fluctuate a lot as we do in our area, be prepared for a lot of wood movement. At first that bothered me but now it's just kind of adds to the chracater of the place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-13-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

View CedarRidgeSpice's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you both for your input.

I too believe my best bet will be water-based, I will give it a try.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode