New guy needs help with beeswax please - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 09-04-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

View SCOUSER's Photo Album My Photos
New guy needs help with beeswax please

Hello all

I have been playing with some reclaimed scaffold boards and made myself a bed. I used a belt sander to smooth the surface before finishing with coloured beeswax.

I put 1 coat on this morning, the wax was very thick but I left for around 30 mins before buffing.... ok so far. I melted the wax this evening (put tin into hot water) and then brushed on another coat. 20 mins later I am giving a gentle buff and the second coat is patchy. Im thinking I haven't left enough time between coats.

What is the best way to fix this, Can I use a spirit of some kind to take back the second coat of wax and then re-apply?

Also. i have noticed that the wax, even after a few weeks still keeps a slight waxy feel, does beeswax not harden? what other potions are their in terms of wax?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-04-2012, 03:13 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOUSER View Post

What is the best way to fix this, Can I use a spirit of some kind to take back the second coat of wax and then re-apply?

Also. i have noticed that the wax, even after a few weeks still keeps a slight waxy feel, does beeswax not harden? what other potions are their in terms of wax?
You do not state your location, are you from Merseyside?

I would expect methylated spirits would clean up some of the present wax, but some will likely remain in the pores of the wood.

A belt sander and the word "smooth" are rarely used together. The belt sander will do a good job of removing the dirty/oxidized surface, but the grits are normally rough.

What was the grit on the belt?

A rough surface will be more of a challenge to clean off the present wax, and if you attempt to sand with wax on the surface, the wax will melt and mess up the belt.

There are many options for wax. Sorry, but I am familiar with US sites, so this is Woodcraft.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Search2/Search.aspx?query=wax

A stand-by in the US is Johnsons Paste Wax. I purchased a tin decades ago, and it is still usable.

In the above link I have used George's Clubhouse Wax, which is a mix of beeswax and shellac. Very easy to apply, but you should have a very smooth finish, e.g., 200 grit or finer.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-04-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

View SCOUSER's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the quick reply Dave

Yes, Im in Merseyside, Liverpool :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-15-2012, 10:23 PM

View Blackwill's Photo Album My Photos
You can break the wax down a bit possibly with citrus solvent.

I really like swilleys all natural beeswax- it is sold at urbanwoodgoods.com

You may have applied the second coat of wax when it was to hot maybe?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode