Woodworking Talk banner

Need help with polyurethane finish issues

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  tomjboyle 
#1 ·
I just spent several months building this rocking horse for my daughter which turned out great. I stained it and then hastily finished it with polyurethane. It now has a finish with the white blotches on it. Any idea how it happened? Best way to repair it? Thanks for your help. New to woodworking and didn't pay much attention to the finish aspect. The wood is walnut.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
In some case rubbing alcohol will assist top coats passing moisture or evaporators thru a topcoat. If your topcoat is an oil based finish, then just let it cure completely and then recoat. It will breakdown the upper molecules of the bottom coat and fuse with them repairing the "torn pores" of a plastic coating to form a clear coating. Just like putting lotion on rough skin. Wadda ya think George??

#8 ·
Ok, back in town. I used MinWax Oil based stain with MinWax Clear Semi-Gloss Polyeurathane. The wood is walnut. I stained one weekend and coated the next.

Thanks guys.

You never stated which polyurethane you used...oil base or water based. In order to come up with a reason for it happening, and a solution to the problem, it helps to be specific.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.