Need help finding Phenolic or Alkyd clear - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 10-11-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

View icor1031's Photo Album My Photos
Need help finding Phenolic or Alkyd clear

Behlen Rockhard switched to urethane, and I'm having a terrible time finding an alternative.

I found two or three Phenolic, but they're only sold from boat supply websites (I can buy from there, if I need to.)

And I would prefer an Alkyd instead, to get less of an amber tone.

Or if you know of an alternative, my desire is to use a clear that I can sand & buff for a very high gloss.
I don't want to use automotive clear, because when wood gets moist and expands, it can crack the clearcoat (I am told.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited by icor1031; 10-11-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-12-2013, 07:43 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not totally sure why, but alkyd formula varnishes are getting a lot harder to find, and several seem to have been discontinued recently. The Cabot 8000 series (which was the same as the excellent McClosky's Heirloom varnish) has been discontinued apparently...and so has the McCloskey's. Old Masters also had an Alkyd formula that seems to have been discontinued. The Pratt and Lambert 38 product is an Alkyd/soya oil formula, and my favorite for when I want less of the warming effect. There is also Sherwin Williams Fast dry Oil varnish (careful, they also have a poly formula) which is an alkyd/linseed oil formula. It's a great product, but has more amber than I normally want. For a phenolic look for Waterlox Original, that's a phenolic/tung oil formula, and I haven't used it (fairly expensive) but is extremely durable and from what I've read the darkest of the varnishes out of the can. Maybe it's the perseption that has been fostered onto woodworker's that the only usable finish for anything is "polyurethane" (ugh!); I guess to some extent we can thank Norm for that....or maybe the finish companies who only want to reduce costs. Anyway, hope this helps.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode