Need advice on what kind of finish I need. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

View ditzy's Photo Album My Photos
Need advice on what kind of finish I need.

Hello. I'm pretty ignorant about wood, so I hope this isn't a stupidly obvious problem or anything. I have a pretty nice wooden dinner table I got recently. I think the wood itself is light, but it has a dark finish of some kind that is also pretty glossy. The problem is, if even a drop of water gets onto it for the briefest moment, the gloss disappears at that spot. It seems that over time the gloss comes back somewhat in the damaged areas, but I'd really like to seal/re-finish it with something that will protect it better from spills and the like. The best I could figure out so far from Google is that this problem isn't water stains, which seem to require more time to seep into the actual wood itself. Does anyone know what is actually going on and what a solution might be? I can give any other information about the table that's needed, just ask -- I just don't know what info you might need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 11:56 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I think if it is dulling the sheen that quick it's a problem with a wax build up or something else on the surface rather than the finish. I don't know of any finish that water will cut that quick. It is possible to clean it off and recoat the table with a more water resistant finish. If it is a wax or polish I would wash it off with Dupont Prepsol Solvent. Then sand the finish with 220 or finer paper and coat the table with an oil based polyurethane. The glossier sheen you use the more water resistant it will be. If you are working the finish by hand I would use a wipe on poly. If you have the means of spraying that would be the easiest method of having good results.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
ditzy (08-03-2014)
post #3 of 7 Old 10-02-2013, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! =D. That's just what I need ^_^.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-02-2013, 10:08 AM

View Marine04's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzy
Hello. I'm pretty ignorant about wood, so I hope this isn't a stupidly obvious problem or anything. I have a pretty nice wooden dinner table I got recently. I think the wood itself is light, but it has a dark finish of some kind that is also pretty glossy. The problem is, if even a drop of water gets onto it for the briefest moment, the gloss disappears at that spot. It seems that over time the gloss comes back somewhat in the damaged areas, but I'd really like to seal/re-finish it with something that will protect it better from spills and the like. The best I could figure out so far from Google is that this problem isn't water stains, which seem to require more time to seep into the actual wood itself. Does anyone know what is actually going on and what a solution might be? I can give any other information about the table that's needed, just ask -- I just don't know what info you might need.
I would just strip the old finish off and refinish it. I personally like polyurethane because it's quick and easy to use. If you like a really high gloss get the glossy finish in the silver can at HD or if you want some gloss but still look natural like wood go with semi gloss. Sand off all of the old finish completely and clean off any dust left behind. Before your first coat of poly sand the surface with 220 grit with a sander preferably. Apply your first coat thin and evenly over the entire surface. It says you can do a second coat after 4-6 hours but I like to wait 24 hours. After that time light sand by sand with 220 grit just enough to smooth off rough spots and avoid the edges and any end grains if any. Clean all the dust off. I like to shop vac the dust then wipe down with a damp cloth. Once it's dry apply another thing even coat of poly and wait about 6 hours maybe 8 and once it's dry hand sand the surface with 320 grit with the sake process as before and clean up. Apply a third coat of poly wait 8 hours or so I usually wait 24 just out of preference then do a wet sand with 600 grit wet sand paper by hand and apply a very small amount of lemon oil or mineral oil to the surface when you sand. Your finished product will be very smooth and slick like a piece of new furniture, plus with the wet sand finish you can sand the edges and any end grains without taking off any stain or causing the grain to cloudy up and give it a dusty look. With the wet sand finish with 600 grit it will turn out very smooth, and have a nice sheen to it. Some people don't like to do that but I haven't had any problems with it. When you clean your table you can use pledge or lemon oil wood cleaner on a rag and wipe it down and it won't lose it's smoothness or sheen
The Following User Says Thank You to Marine04 For This Useful Post:
ditzy (08-03-2014)
post #5 of 7 Old 10-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Do you have the ability to spray on a finish other than spray cans?

post #6 of 7 Old 10-03-2013, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

I don't have any tools or equipment whatsoever. My plan was to rent what I needed from home depot. So partly because of that, and partly because I see this as a learning opportunity, I was expecting to do most things without equipment. I might have to concede to getting some kind of sanding machine, but if it wouldn't be too hard (and I really don't know how hard it would be) I was thinking of applying a stain and clear finish by hand. But I am very open to advice on this, since I've never really done anything like this.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-03-2013, 10:06 PM

View Marine04's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzy
I don't have any tools or equipment whatsoever. My plan was to rent what I needed from home depot. So partly because of that, and partly because I see this as a learning opportunity, I was expecting to do most things without equipment. I might have to concede to getting some kind of sanding machine, but if it wouldn't be too hard (and I really don't know how hard it would be) I was thinking of applying a stain and clear finish by hand. But I am very open to advice on this, since I've never really done anything like this.
I have a ryobi corner cat sander. They cost 29.99 at Home Depot and I've had mine and loved it for 3 years now. I was very surprised at how well it works and how long it's lasted being a ryobi. It would definitely get you through your project and won't break the bank
The Following User Says Thank You to Marine04 For This Useful Post:
ditzy (08-03-2014)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode