Need advice for finishing cherry counter top - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 11-29-2008, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

View mdsparks's Photo Album My Photos
Need advice for finishing cherry counter top

I have built a solid cherry vanity for our master bath, My wife wants the counter top to also be solid cherry. The bowl is one of those solid bowls that sit completely above the counter top. Of course my main concern is water damage. The rest of the cabinet finish is sprayed laquer. I was thinking of using some sort of marine varnish for the counter top. Or, maybe I don't need to be that concerned, maybe some other more common finish like the spray laquer, polyurethane, or shellac? Any comments, thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-29-2008, 01:16 AM

View mics_54's Photo Album My Photos
You might like Envirotex clear acrylic pour on coating.

Environmental Technology Inc.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-29-2008, 06:43 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with mics. For what you want I think a thick clear coating is the only way to go.

The latest issue of WoodSmith (Volume 30/no. 180)has as article on pouring/applying Resin coatings.

G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-29-2008, 09:00 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
MD,
I don't know, in order to avoid future problems, I think you better make it out of laminate and send that big hunk of useless cherry my way so I can properly dispose of it for you.
Mike Hawkins
post #5 of 15 Old 11-29-2008, 01:53 PM

View jerry's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with Mike send the Cherry to him or to me. But,if you decide to keep it I would first apply a coat of shellac(an excellent water vapor barrier) Then two or three coats of Waterlox Original Varnish in the sheen of your choice.

Regards

Jerry
post #6 of 15 Old 11-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
I agree with Mike send the Cherry to him or to me. But,if you decide to keep it I would first apply a coat of shellac(an excellent water vapor barrier) Then two or three coats of Waterlox Original Varnish in the sheen of your choice.

Regards

Jerry

I agree with the Waterlox. I might use their sealer in lieu of shellac, and then topcoat with the desired Waterlox sheen.

post #7 of 15 Old 11-29-2008, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I like the Waterlox idea. I have checked out their website and it looks like an excellent product for this application. Thank you all for the suggestions.
Mike
post #8 of 15 Old 11-30-2008, 01:44 PM

View jerry's Photo Album My Photos
Why would you use their sealer ?.

Jerry
post #9 of 15 Old 11-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
Why would you use their sealer ?.

Jerry

Just a wild and crazy choice.

post #10 of 15 Old 12-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Dust Bunny

Location: Caught between the longing for love and the struggle for the legal tender
View cusingeorge's Photo Album My Photos
ICA 2k Urethane LAC367 with the appropriate Polyester sealer (FP272 I think) is the only thing that I would use.

It ain't the years honey, it's the mileage
-Indiana Jones
post #11 of 15 Old 02-18-2009, 01:30 PM

View wonderwoman's Photo Album My Photos
MD- I'd like to know what product you decided to use, application techniques & the results. If you poured resin or envirotech, any tricks?
Mics, or anyone, have you ever used the resin/eviro. in any application? I'm thinking of using it on my kitchen counters and sure could use so feedback about results. Thanks Heather
post #12 of 15 Old 02-21-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Wonderwoman,

I decided to use the Waterlox product in the medium sheen. I applied four coats and am very satisfied with the appearance. I do have one concern though. I noticed that if I lean onto the counter top with my palm for a short period of time, say to brush my teeth a hazy palm print remains that cannot be wiped away. However, after an hour or so the palm print has disappeared completely. This continues to happen even after the product has cured for over two months. I'm not sure what is going on but as long as the appearance returns to normal I guess I'm not too concerned.

Water droplets missed when wiping off the counter top seem to have no impact whatsoever on the appearance. Just wipe away the mineral deposit left behind with a damp rag and all is beautiful again.

Mike
post #13 of 15 Old 02-21-2009, 02:24 PM

View wonderwoman's Photo Album My Photos
Mike,
Since I'm thinking of maybe sealing paint, embedding objects or even a veneer on kit counter, Waterlox isn't the product I should use, may be ok on a tv tray or something. I ordered resin/hardener from US Composites to test samples of ideas I have for the counter, BEFORE I even think about diving in, I know it could get messy and might discourge me from going forward. The tech rep spent 20 mins on the phone answering my q's and I'm pretty comfy about the testing phase, at least. I could just put in a new counter, but I want to get creative, and if it doesn't turn out, I won't stress. I saw somewhere on a forum a guy used the kleer koat on a pool table, I might have to track him down. Thanks for the info. Heather
post #14 of 15 Old 02-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Furniture Maker

View Thomas Gioscia's Photo Album My Photos
Finishing Cherry Bath Cab. Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsparks View Post
I have built a solid cherry vanity for our master bath, My wife wants the counter top to also be solid cherry. The bowl is one of those solid bowls that sit completely above the counter top. Of course my main concern is water damage. The rest of the cabinet finish is sprayed laquer. I was thinking of using some sort of marine varnish for the counter top. Or, maybe I don't need to be that concerned, maybe some other more common finish like the spray laquer, polyurethane, or shellac? Any comments, thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.
To finish your cherry top successfully, here are some tips.
Lacquer finishes are fine for the purpose as long as they are catalyzed.
If you have a splash on the back or sides, be sure to glue them onto the top with water proof glue before finishing the top. This is the most vulnerable spot. Also, flip the top and seal the back too. This will prevent cupping and preserve dimensional stability.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Furniture Maker

View Thomas Gioscia's Photo Album My Photos
Finishing your cherry top, here is an answer

To finish your cherry top successfully, here are some tips.
Lacquer finishes are fine for the purpose as long as they are catalyzed.
If you have a splash on the back or sides, be sure to glue them onto the top with water proof glue before finishing the top. This is the most vulnerable spot. Also, flip the top and seal the back too. This will prevent cupping and preserve dimensional stability.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode