Need advice - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 02-02-2018, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

View FishFactory's Photo Album My Photos
Need advice

I need to make a corner hutch. The customer wants an antique looking paint finish. What can I use? I would like something to spray on for a nice even finish and time. I think I would like to use laquer Paint but having a hard time finding it. What would you guys use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-02-2018, 10:23 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Can you be more specific on the appearance you want. Sometimes old paint look means crackle paint. Sometimes you apply paint and sand through the paint on the corners and add a glaze to it to make a more aged look.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-02-2018, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

It's not the krackle look they want. Was thinking of applying a brown base with the color over top and sand it then clear coat it. I don't think latex will work due to not being able to spray it. The laquer finish intrigues me due to it's sprayability and the hard finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-02-2018, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Here's something similar to what I'm looking for.
https://goo.gl/images/Lw7t5u
post #5 of 11 Old 02-02-2018, 11:08 PM

With that finish the white goes on first. Latex is compatible with lacquer. You could apply white latex paint wiping enough off the wood shows through it. Then sand the corners you wish. Then let it dry and put a coat or two of lacquer on it to seal in the white. Then apply a brown glaze to places where there is detail like grooves or moldings and wipe off the excess. Then when that is dry put another coat or two of lacquer over the top and you're done.

Now, the lacquer you use should be a type that is clear and remain clear. You could use cab-acrylic lacquer which is also known as butyrate lacquer.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-03-2018, 05:27 AM
J_L

View J_L's Photo Album My Photos
Steve's right. Notice how the white is muddy? That's from a glaze being applied over the top of the white.

If they're looking for a cleaner look, the process you mentioned above would work. Here's a pic of some doors I had to match up to in a kitchen that are similar to what you're describing. To match these doors, I applied a base color stain, clear vinyl sealer, then top coated with an off white conversion varnish. After two coats, I went through and broke all the edges down to the sealer so the darker color was showing. It should be clear coated at this point but the rest of their kitchen wasn't so I didn't either to match.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-11 17.58.49.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	339137  

post #7 of 11 Old 02-03-2018, 10:07 AM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
A friend of a friend refinishes and paints furniture. I think she uses a lot of milk paint for the aged, antiqued, distressed look.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-04-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Would latex paint spray ok in a HVLP sprayer?
post #9 of 11 Old 02-04-2018, 11:33 PM

View jtech1's Photo Album My Photos
I am not an expert on HVLP, but I have a 3M AccuSpray gun... both the regular gun and the pressured cup gun. They both work with latex without thinning, although the pressure cup works much better and requires much less air to get a fine spray with good coverage. I don't have any experience with any other HVLP guns.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-07-2018, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Anyone have experience spraying latex? Any help would be appreciated. Or I'm open to suggestions that will work in a HVLP gun
post #11 of 11 Old 02-07-2018, 08:45 AM

Latex paint doesn't spray very well in a cup gun. The paint really needs to be pressurized. If you are doing small jobs Harbor Freight sells a 1/2 gallon sprayer for 45 bucks. https://www.harborfreight.com/profes...kit-93312.html

This type sprayer is also helpful when spraying cabinets because you can go inside of a cabinet and spray in any direction.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode