more spraying questions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 04-21-2010, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

View kjhart0133's Photo Album My Photos
more spraying questions

Friends,

I'm presently making the Rockler Heirloom Baby Crib for my new first grandkid arriving in September. The actual construction is going very well and in a couple of weeks I'll be ready to undertake the finishing.

The thought of hand finishing all those slats and rails is making me nervous and I'm considering taking the spray plunge. I've looked at several of the threads on spraying and I still have some questions. Sorry if any of this has been posted before.

Basically I'm a hobbyist making small projects for my own use or as gifts. The crib I am making is probably one of the larger projects I'd make. I think I'd probably mostly need a sprayer for clear finishes like poly, lacquer, etc., but may occasionally use paint if the project calls for it.

Here are some of my questions:

1. What is the difference between HVLP and LVHP and which do I want to buy to do basic hobbyist projects.

2. Gravity fed vs non-gravity fed. What are the pros and cons?

3. Compressor. I have a real cheap ($50) compressor that is suitable for blowing dust off things, but not much else. What is a good compressor for my spray needs.

4. Filters. I've no clue. Help?

5. Paint vs finish, oil vs water based. Is it just a matter of changing nozzles to go from one medium to another? Or do I need entirely separate spray heads?

6. Is there a good quality turn-key system I can buy that will work for my modest needs? If it is recommended to buy separate parts, I'd appreciate a list of components, mfr. names & P/Ns and sources. I realize this is an imposition, but some threads will recommend a spray head but not say anything about other components, etc.

I'm willing to buy quality parts, but really need some guidance to get started.

Ideally, I'd like to set up a PM dialogue with one of the spray experts out there who could guide me through this initial process.

Again, I appreciate any advice and time you can afford.

Thanks,

Kevin H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Dust Bunny

Location: Caught between the longing for love and the struggle for the legal tender
View cusingeorge's Photo Album My Photos
1. What is the difference between HVLP and LVHP and which do I want to buy to do basic hobbyist projects.

HVLP (High Volume, Low Pressure) and LVLP (Low Volume, Low Pressure)

I pulled this from the "Woodweb" and should answer this question.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...pray_Guns.html

Here's a link that explains this question.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/dent8.html

3. Compressor. I have a real cheap ($50) compressor that is suitable for blowing dust off things, but not much else. What is a good compressor for my spray needs.

If you don't spray much and don't mind waiting for your $50.00 compressor to catch up, it should work fine. You can find really good deals on larger compressors on Craigslist or pawn shops.

Air or material filters? If you don't plan on spraying much, I would not worry too much about filtering your air unless its really humid or your compressor runs constantly while you are spraying.

Material filters are usually nothing more than "cone strainers" you can get an nearly any paint store and are used right before you plan to spray.

5. Paint vs finish, oil vs water based. Is it just a matter of changing nozzles to go from one medium to another? Or do I need entirely separate spray heads?

To move from one to another, you need only get you gun really clean. Don't spray latex in your gun unless you want it in every other finish you spray. Go ahead and spray waterbased polyurethane and get used to it, you'll be ahead of the curve and the smell is much less potent. You don't need to change anything about your gun to spray either, but you may find that thinning solvent or waterbased will give you better results.

6. Is there a good quality turn-key system I can buy that will work for my modest needs? If it is recommended to buy separate parts, I'd appreciate a list of components, mfr. names & P/Ns and sources. I realize this is an imposition, but some threads will recommend a spray head but not say anything about other components, etc.

Most of the gun manufacturers have regional distributors you can talk to about your needs and you can usually follow thier recommendations. Just don't let them sell you something for retail and don't let them talk you into anything without doing your due diligence first. Graco, AOM, Binks, Asturo, et, al, are several names that are a place to start. Look in your yellow pages under "Spray Equipment" or visit your local paint store for help.

Kevin, get to know your dealer, whether it's a paint store or an equipment dealer, and ask plenty of questions they tend to be far easier to reach when you are in the middle of a project than folks on the interweb.

It ain't the years honey, it's the mileage
-Indiana Jones
post #3 of 7 Old 04-21-2010, 10:01 PM

View Colt W. Knight's Photo Album My Photos
I would definitely use an in line water seperator/filter. These are only a few dollars, and keeps water out of your sprayer.

I like gravity fed units, and a simple 1.4 nozzle gravity sprayer available from harbor freight for 15$ or grizzly for 30$ works great. Especially if you use lacquer.

I probably wouldn't attempt spraying with a too small compressor. most small compressors are designed to fill up tires or shoot high pressure short bursts of air into nailers and stuff. They really aren't designed for lower pressure prolonged use.

I strain everything before pouring it into the gun. You don't want some piece of crud clogging your gun, causes it to spit or clog, or spray crud into your finish.

The more you thin, the better and flatter it will spray, but you have to do a lot more coats and It will get runs eaiser.

Last edited by Colt W. Knight; 04-21-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-22-2010, 11:01 AM

View ash123's Photo Album My Photos
I spray furniture with a siphon gun and cup. My compressor is a two cylinder oiled two horse on a 40 gallon tank. I use duel regulators and an in-line water filter. My gun is a Binks Model 7. The cup is a Sharp no-drip. I've tried all kinds of finish guns over the years and this is my favorite. For cabinets I like heated airless. I've never sprayed a crib and have no idea what child safe finish to use.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-22-2010, 11:38 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjhart0133 View Post

I'm presently making the Rockler Heirloom Baby Crib ..

Most car and boat painters use the Gravity Feed and most furniture makers use a cup gun or pressure pot system. Main reason for the difference is car painters are almost always painting 'downward' and have little to no obstructions overhead. Most furniture makers are spraying upward at times inside boxes and cabinets ant the top loaded Gravity Feed would be in the way. Tony B

3.... What is a good compressor for my spray needs.
A good compressor will serve you well for many things besides spraying. Some of them would be air tools and air sanders. Although most 60 Gal units advertise air sanding as part of the things it can do, in reality, it will most likely not be sufficient. For air sanding you will need an 80 gal. unit. The difference in cost could be a major factor in your decision. Anyway, a 60 gal unit will be sufficient for most spraying needs. Tony B

You will definitelt need oil and moisture filters as well as a regulator.
Not very expensine - $35 to $50 range should do. Also an inline moisture filter will be a help. Tony B

Most cases, you will just need different needles and tips (set-ups). Tony B

6. Is there a good quality turn-key system I can buy that will work for my modest needs? If it is recommended to buy separate parts...
The only turn key systems I know of are turbine HVLP systems that are self contained units and completely portable. I'm sure there are others out there, I am just not familiar with them. Tony B.

Kevin H.
Right now you are planning on finishing a crib. The basic design of a crib usually will make finishing with normal guns difficult because of the closely spaced vertical bars.
The good news is that all you will need is a cheap $15 Harbor Freight touch-up gun for this. It will be more than adequate for most finishes like lacquer and varnish.
The touch-up gun will work with smaller compressors, but not sure about yours being too small.
Anyway, A good compressor 60 gal will run around $500, an 80 gal will run around $700. A decent HVLP turbine unit will run around $300 to $350, however, like I stated earlier, these are great units, but may not work very well on your crib.
BTW, I really dont like typing very much. If you want to talk further, feel free to call me on 281-687-4661.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #6 of 7 Old 04-26-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

View kjhart0133's Photo Album My Photos
Wow! Thanks guys. There's a lot of info here for me to digest. I'm going to go over all your replies and try to come up with a system that suits me.

Tony B.: I may be calling you. Thanks for sending your number.

Once I figure out what I want to buy, I'll post my choices here on this thread.

Again, thanks.

KevinH
post #7 of 7 Old 04-28-2010, 09:21 PM

View kostek's Photo Album My Photos
Go for the touch up gun.
Easy to practice with first-sure it is slower, but enjoyable. Are you in a rush? What is another hour out of your life?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode