more spraying questions
I'm presently making the Rockler Heirloom Baby Crib for my new first grandkid arriving in September. The actual construction is going very well and in a couple of weeks I'll be ready to undertake the finishing.
The thought of hand finishing all those slats and rails is making me nervous and I'm considering taking the spray plunge. I've looked at several of the threads on spraying and I still have some questions. Sorry if any of this has been posted before.
Basically I'm a hobbyist making small projects for my own use or as gifts. The crib I am making is probably one of the larger projects I'd make. I think I'd probably mostly need a sprayer for clear finishes like poly, lacquer, etc., but may occasionally use paint if the project calls for it.
Here are some of my questions:
1. What is the difference between HVLP and LVHP and which do I want to buy to do basic hobbyist projects.
2. Gravity fed vs non-gravity fed. What are the pros and cons?
3. Compressor. I have a real cheap ($50) compressor that is suitable for blowing dust off things, but not much else. What is a good compressor for my spray needs.
4. Filters. I've no clue. Help?
5. Paint vs finish, oil vs water based. Is it just a matter of changing nozzles to go from one medium to another? Or do I need entirely separate spray heads?
6. Is there a good quality turn-key system I can buy that will work for my modest needs? If it is recommended to buy separate parts, I'd appreciate a list of components, mfr. names & P/Ns and sources. I realize this is an imposition, but some threads will recommend a spray head but not say anything about other components, etc.
I'm willing to buy quality parts, but really need some guidance to get started.
Ideally, I'd like to set up a PM dialogue with one of the spray experts out there who could guide me through this initial process.
Again, I appreciate any advice and time you can afford.