Mold on unfinished redwood slab - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave McCann

post #1 of 9 Old 09-29-2020, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

View Nessa's Photo Album My Photos
Mold on unfinished redwood slab

Hello all! I’m new to this forum and to woodworking, so would appreciate greatly a any advice on how to remédiate what looks like mold on my redwood slab. This slab has been kiln dried. The mold had appeared the more I’ve sanded it, and it appears may be in the grain/wood itself. I’ve read that a bleach mixture can help with mold, but I’m nervous to do this on my table, as I’m hoping to finish it with a natural oil. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 29C381F7-021C-48A2-BBAE-4257AE54EFAE_1601420170295.jpeg (70.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 1BF3F55B-4DBA-473D-9DFA-041F7F3192B8_1601420178414.jpg (319.3 KB, 28 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-29-2020, 07:40 PM

View Dave McCann's Photo Album My Photos
Nessa,
It appears to me like the areas in question are where the slab was stickered when first cut. I guess I'd suggest asking the folks at the place where I purchased the kiln dried slab, what can be done.

Page 193 of the linked document addresses sticker stains and sticker discolorations

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/u.../chapter08.pdf

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/u.../chapter08.pdf
John Smith_inFL likes this.

Take care,
Dave McCann
post #3 of 9 Old 09-29-2020, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Dave McCann;2137121]Nessa,
It appears to me like the areas in question are where the slab was stickered when first cut. I guess I'd suggest asking the folks at the place where I purchased the kiln dried slab, what can be done.

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for the reply. I bought the slab raw and before it was kiln dried, and then sent it to be kiln dried after I checked the moisture content. I don’t think they put a sticker on it during the drying process, but I will check in with the company. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-29-2020, 08:39 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
I 2nd the stain vs mold idea.
some stains go quite deep - some can be sanded out to almost unnoticeable.
what does the other side look like ??
what are your intentions to make out of it ?

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-29-2020, 09:08 PM

View Dave McCann's Photo Album My Photos
[quote=Nessa;2137127]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McCann View Post
Nessa,

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for the reply. I bought the slab raw and before it was kiln dried, and then sent it to be kiln dried after I checked the moisture content. I don’t think they put a sticker on it during the drying process, but I will check in with the company. Thanks again!
Nessa,

Did you read the info in the link?

As to "a sticker" ; "Sticker" in the content of drying wood products, is the piece(s) of wood placed between the layers of wood that is to be dried. The stains on your slab, appear to be going across the grain in the same manner as the supporting boards (AKA stickers)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sticker.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	396195  

Take care,
Dave McCann

Last edited by Dave McCann; 09-29-2020 at 09:11 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-29-2020, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=John Smith_inFL;2137135]I 2nd the stain vs mold idea.
some stains go quite deep - some can be sanded out to almost unnoticeable.
what does the other side look like ??
what are your intentions to make out of it ?

Hi John,

The other side is meant to be the bottom, as it had pretty large cracks and gouges that I filled with epoxy. It was my first go with epoxy, so it definitely didn’t come out the best. I’m making a dining room table. Appreciate any and all advice! Thanks!
post #7 of 9 Old 09-29-2020, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Dave,

Thank you so much for clarifying what sticker refers to. I responded to you assuming the meaning, without having read the article first. Thank you again for your time and I will read the article you shared. Much appreciated!
post #8 of 9 Old 09-29-2020, 11:17 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
[quote=Nessa;2137127]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McCann View Post
Nessa,

Hi Dave,

You have to understand that they set stacks of wood outdoors for weeks if not months in the weather before it gets moved into a dry kiln. The wood can get all kinds of stains on it while sitting outdoors. The color of the stain suggests to me it was something steel which made it. The sawmill I worked at would band rough cut lumber with a steel banding strap however the place I worked at didn't kiln dry anything. It was sold to other places green and I guess kiln dried somewhere else. If it rained a lot on the wood the steel bands would give it a pretty good stain. About all you can do is look for stains in the wood when you buy it. Since stains often run deep you can't expect to sand them out. It might take a lot of surfacing to remove them.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-30-2020, 01:31 AM
mike44

View kwoodhands's Photo Album My Photos
Wet a rag or paper towel with Hydrogen Peroxide. Gently rub the rag on the stain. Place rag over the stain for about half a day. remove the rag and inspect the stain. If the stain looks lighter in color but still visible, repeat the process.
If the stain does not lighten , then forget the peroxide solution and sand the stain.
This usually works on hardwoods.
mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode