Minwax Polyurethane Advice Needed - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 06-13-2018, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

View Chumly's Photo Album My Photos
Minwax Polyurethane Advice Needed

Hello friends.......I have a 36" round , wood table top that I have applied oil based Minwax stain on and I'am applying Oil Based Minwax fast drying Polyurethane , clear semi-gloss on for the top coat. I am using a 4 inch foam applicator to brush on the polyurethane. I have now applied 3 coats of poly , with giving each coat 24 hours to dry before the next coat, and I have lightly sanded ( with 320 ) the poly between each coat and blown and wiped down the surface with tack cloths . It's looking good . How many coats is advisable in this case ? Should I go for 4 coats or is 3 good ? The table top will be used for my friends dinette eating table. I don't want to apply to many coats . Also......after the last coat what is a good amount of time for the surface to cure and or harden before I can give it back to my friends ? And... with what and how should I buff out the surface after it is hard ? Sorry for the long post . Thanks George in cent Fla.

Last edited by Chumly; 06-13-2018 at 12:49 PM. Reason: add words
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-13-2018, 04:01 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I think 3 coats will be sufficient.
Itís hot in central Florida so your drying time should be fast. Iíd wait for 24 hours after the 3rd coat to rub it out. I now rub my finishes out using an automotive rubbing compound. I use DuPont.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman50 For This Useful Post:
Chumly (07-07-2018)

Tags
buffing, minwax, polyurethane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode