Minwax Polyurethane - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 07-01-2015, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

View suez52's Photo Album My Photos
Minwax Polyurethane

I stripped a piece of pine furniture using stripper, scraped it off then used mineral spirits to clean the residue. Because of a lot of scratches I gave it a really good sanding, then a coat of Minwax stain. I waited a couple of days before using Minwax Polyurethane (stirred it well). I put on a light coat using a foam brush, 3 days later its still tacky to the touch. What did I do wrong? Should I strip it again and start over? Anyone had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-01-2015, 09:21 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
When you stained it did you wipe off the excess stain? It's important to wipe off the excess stain before putting a finish over it. Something is definitely wrong with 3 days drying time this time of year. The safest fix would be to strip it off and start over.

One thing that might have gone wrong is paint strippers contain wax. Even though many removers recommend rinsing the residue off with mineral spirits, that is a poor product to rinse the residue off with. Lacquer thinner would be a much better solvent. If some of the wax was left on the wood sanding would just smear it around and the wax could screw with the finish extending the drying time a lot. I had an employee not rinse remover off well enough one time and the first coat of lacquer sealer took two weeks to dry. Had it not been for the wax the sealer would have dried in 15 minutes.

Specifically what finish did you use anyway?
post #3 of 10 Old 07-01-2015, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Hi Steve
I used Minwax Quick Dry Polyurethane as the finish. I sanded the wood right down using palm sander, then I rubbed the minwax stain in well and let it dry a couple of days, it was dry to the touch. Then a thin coat of the polyurethane.

I will strip the piece down again, should I use something other than the polyurethane, I like the satin finish......would like it more if it dried!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-01-2015, 11:13 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
With the Minwax stain, did you apply it on the surface then wipe all the excess off the surface within 10 or 15 minutes, before the stain starts to get too sticky? Was the can of poly fresh, never opened or altered?
post #5 of 10 Old 07-01-2015, 11:24 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by suez52 View Post
Hi Steve
I used Minwax Quick Dry Polyurethane as the finish. I sanded the wood right down using palm sander, then I rubbed the minwax stain in well and let it dry a couple of days, it was dry to the touch. Then a thin coat of the polyurethane.

I will strip the piece down again, should I use something other than the polyurethane, I like the satin finish......would like it more if it dried!
When you stain you can't rub the stain in and let it dry. You have to apply the stain and wipe the excess stain off with a clean dry cloth. This didn't cause the drying problem but it can cause the finish to peal off prematurely. What can happen if you leave stain on the surface is the finish will adhere to the stain instead of the wood and flake off. The stain won't bond the same way a finish will.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-02-2015, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I rubbed the stain off with a clean cloth until nothing more came off.
I just purchased the can of polyurethane from Home Depot, and stirred it well.

I am preparing to strip the piece again after work, use the Lacquer Thinner to clean off the residue. I will post how this all turns out.

Thanks for the advice!
post #7 of 10 Old 07-02-2015, 11:18 AM

View IowaDave's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
When you stain you can't rub the stain in and let it dry. You have to apply the stain and wipe the excess stain off with a clean dry cloth. This didn't cause the drying problem but it can cause the finish to peal off prematurely. What can happen if you leave stain on the surface is the finish will adhere to the stain instead of the wood and flake off. The stain won't bond the same way a finish will.
I don't want to hijack this thread, but the advice above is spot on. I only wish that I didn't have to learn it the hard way myself first! I had more than a couple of projects that I made that were very well done from the wood working side of things...only to have problems with the finish. Good advice.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-02-2015, 08:08 PM

View RandyReed's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by suez52 View Post
I stripped a piece of pine furniture using stripper, scraped it off then used mineral spirits to clean the residue. Because of a lot of scratches I gave it a really good sanding, then a coat of Minwax stain. I waited a couple of days before using Minwax Polyurethane (stirred it well). I put on a light coat using a foam brush, 3 days later its still tacky to the touch. What did I do wrong? Should I strip it again and start over? Anyone had this problem?
Minwax stain can be recoated in 4-6 hours and dry in 8 hours, so if you waited a couple of days you should be good there.......

Minwax fast dry Polyurethane should be applied in a THIN coat using a high quality natural bristle or foam brush and should be dry in 4-6 hours. even with a foam brush there is a possibility that what you think is thin, may not be thin. Air movement is important with polyurethane no matter how hot the temperature is, air movement is key. It will dry, but its going to take some time.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-03-2015, 03:49 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
How high is the humidity in your area, and what's the temperature been like? The higher the humidity is, the slower poly likes curing, same with low temperatures. I just used the same stuff on a dining table (finally have a table in the new house, woo!), and in my humid basement it took a day or so for the first coat, and a couple hours once I put a dehumidifier down there

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #10 of 10 Old 07-06-2015, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

I stripped, sanded and stained the piece, then used the polyurethane again making sure it was a bare skim coat. I left the piece in a room with fan and dehumidifier and had the same results, 2 days and it was still sticky. I stripped down the piece for the 3rd time, sanded, stained, waited 24 hours and used Minwax water based fast drying polyurethane with perfect results! The piece has been recoated several times and looks great. I am sure there must have been something wrong with the can of polyurethane I purchased, its in the bin to go to the chemical waste recycling. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode