Minwax/Hemlock disaster - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-15-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

View Calloo's Photo Album My Photos
Minwax/Hemlock disaster

We're prepping to stain mountains of hemlock for trim. Because our house is built to passive standard (read: air tight) we intended to use water-based stain.
After applying the pre-stain conditioner strictly according to the directions on the can and Minwax website, we applied the stain ó again according to the directions.
It looks absolutely awful. Blotchy. Streaky. Muddy looking grain and character.
After seeing what everyone is saying about pre-stain for water-based stain, we've decided to bag the "low fume" approach and go for the oil.
I know that I cannot apply oil-based stain over water-based pre-stain (or can I? someone tell me I can ...). Is sanding going to make it all better? Am I going to have to bag these formerly gorgeous pieces of wood?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-16-2011, 10:00 PM

View jack warner's Photo Album My Photos
hemlock is the last wood i would choose for a staining project.
your not gonna get a good stain/finish on it, now that you have a stain in it now.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-17-2011, 09:10 AM

View fromtheforty's Photo Album My Photos
I've never stained Hemlock but have done several picecs of another softwood, white cedar. What has worked for me is using a 1lb cut of dewaxed shellac as a pre stain treater. The white cedar has always stained blotchy for me in the past but the shellac has worked very well. Dewaxed Shellac seems to stick just about any finish. Maybe this will help. Good luck!

Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-18-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

View Calloo's Photo Album My Photos
Man, do I wish we had done more research and asking before we plunged into this particular staining adventure.

HOWEVER! It turns out that with hemlock, Minwax water-based pre stain works just fine with Minwax oil-based stain. We ran a whole bunch of tests and this ended up being the best combination. Who knew? and thank goodness.

The grain looks good, though all the beautiful character is lost. Beats repurchasing all the trim. Pictures to follow.

Tags
minwax, pre stain, staining

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode