Mineral Spirits Residue - Page 2 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 Old 04-14-2017, 12:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,995
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorStylist View Post
If I wasnt subjected to have to use waterbourne systems from time to time because of my line of work, I would probably feel the same way. However, since I have to use them from time to time, you would be surprised how easy they are to use, and the results you can get. No one ever would have thought a water based paint could be applied on automobiles many years ago. A friend of mine says he actually likes it better than applying base coat/clear. I would be scared to death to go back painting cars and starting out with a waterbourne system.
I wouldn't use a waterborne on a car for sure. I'm currently having trouble with having trouble with latex wall paint pealing off primed walls. The primer stays but the latex paint is having adhesion problems. I used a paint block tape masking off the woodwork and we are having to use a knife to cut the paint before we remove the tape or the paint will peal off in sheets.
Steve Neul is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 34 Old 04-14-2017, 02:39 PM
Advanced Color Matcher
 
ColorStylist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 292
View ColorStylist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I wouldn't use a waterborne on a car for sure. I'm currently having trouble with having trouble with latex wall paint pealing off primed walls. The primer stays but the latex paint is having adhesion problems. I used a paint block tape masking off the woodwork and we are having to use a knife to cut the paint before we remove the tape or the paint will peal off in sheets.
What kind of primer did you use? What kind of latex did you use? Bathroom? Living room? Kitchen?

Matching colors on different substrates is easy. All it takes is patience and beer.
ColorStylist is offline  
post #23 of 34 Old 04-14-2017, 08:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,995
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorStylist View Post
What kind of primer did you use? What kind of latex did you use? Bathroom? Living room? Kitchen?
I used Kilz PVA drywall primer. It was used in three bedrooms and the living room. The Benjamin Moore paint used in one bedroom there was no problem. It was Valspar Signature line of paint which wasn't bonding well.
Steve Neul is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 34 Old 04-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Advanced Color Matcher
 
ColorStylist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 292
View ColorStylist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I used Kilz PVA drywall primer. It was used in three bedrooms and the living room. The Benjamin Moore paint used in one bedroom there was no problem. It was Valspar Signature line of paint which wasn't bonding well.
First off, you KNOW you should have been using Sherwin Williams! LOL, just kidding.

Anyway, Valspar acrylic latex is one of the most finicky paints out there. Humidity will effect this paint like no other.

When using their acrylic latex, Valspar recommends to remove the tape while the paint is still wet. Keep in mind that tightly taping a newly painted wall could cause you to remove layers of paint; therefore, avoid sealing tape tightly against new paint. Good surface prep and a two-week cure will reduce the odds of pulling your new paint off with the tape.

I hope that maybe some of the issues with consumer paints will be resolved once Sherwin Williams completes the Valspar acquisition by the end of June. "Axalta Coating Systems" is purchasing Valspar's North American Industrial Wood Coatings business because they said Sherwin Williams would be running a monopoly over American wood coatings, so the FTC made Valspar sell off that division before the acquisition.....but we get to keep Valspar's overseas wood coatings business....imagine that! All over the world no one had a problem with Sherwin purchasing the whole Valspar business, except the USA Federal Trade Commission.

Matching colors on different substrates is easy. All it takes is patience and beer.
ColorStylist is offline  
post #25 of 34 Old 04-15-2017, 01:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,995
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorStylist View Post
First off, you KNOW you should have been using Sherwin Williams! LOL, just kidding.

Anyway, Valspar acrylic latex is one of the most finicky paints out there. Humidity will effect this paint like no other.

When using their acrylic latex, Valspar recommends to remove the tape while the paint is still wet. Keep in mind that tightly taping a newly painted wall could cause you to remove layers of paint; therefore, avoid sealing tape tightly against new paint. Good surface prep and a two-week cure will reduce the odds of pulling your new paint off with the tape.

I hope that maybe some of the issues with consumer paints will be resolved once Sherwin Williams completes the Valspar acquisition by the end of June. "Axalta Coating Systems" is purchasing Valspar's North American Industrial Wood Coatings business because they said Sherwin Williams would be running a monopoly over American wood coatings, so the FTC made Valspar sell off that division before the acquisition.....but we get to keep Valspar's overseas wood coatings business....imagine that! All over the world no one had a problem with Sherwin purchasing the whole Valspar business, except the USA Federal Trade Commission.
In this case the customer was supplying me with the paint so it wasn't my choice. As far as this job went the Benjamin Moore paint was the best product. After applying two coats of the Valspar which was unusable because the sheen was blotchy, I went and bought some Glidden paint and I got it to work but still was a little blotchy. It turned out the paint would work when applied with a roller but not with an airless. I don't know of a place anywhere near me that sells Benjamin Moore paint though. Actually the best wall paint I've used is Walmart's Color Place line of paint. It covers well and never had any issues.

I've used Sherwin Williams paint before and it seems to be watered down and doesn't cover well. It usually takes two to three coats to get it to cover even on primed walls.

As far as removing the tape while the paint was still wet would have caused me to have to mask the room off several times since the paint didn't work. I had to wait until I could sign off on the appearance before removing the tape. In any case I've never had any latex wall paint peal off like that.
Steve Neul is offline  
post #26 of 34 Old 04-15-2017, 02:28 PM
Advanced Color Matcher
 
ColorStylist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 292
View ColorStylist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Actually the best wall paint I've used is Walmart's Color Place line of paint. It covers well and never had any issues.
You know that "ColorPlace" is actually Sherwin Williams paint right? Its SW's A-100 series line of paint. Sherwin Williams signed a 7 year deal with Walmart back in 2012. Walmart's stipulation is that they do not want any manufacturers name on the label of that specific "ColorPlace" brand. Before 2012, it was Valspar. All they do is fill up "run offs" of paint and sell it to Walmart using the ColorPlace label.

The best interior paint to use by Sherwin Williams is the Duration line.
The best exterior paint to use by Sherwin Williams is the Resilience line.

Matching colors on different substrates is easy. All it takes is patience and beer.

Last edited by ColorStylist; 04-15-2017 at 02:35 PM.
ColorStylist is offline  
post #27 of 34 Old 04-15-2017, 03:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,995
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorStylist View Post
You know that "ColorPlace" is actually Sherwin Williams paint right? Its SW's A-100 series line of paint. Sherwin Williams signed a 7 year deal with Walmart back in 2012. Walmart's stipulation is that they do not want any manufacturers name on the label of that specific "ColorPlace" brand. Before 2012, it was Valspar. All they do is fill up "run offs" of paint and sell it to Walmart using the ColorPlace label.

The best interior paint to use by Sherwin Williams is the Duration line.
The best exterior paint to use by Sherwin Williams is the Resilience line.
I didn't know that. I heard somewhere Color Place was made by Glidden is why I bought Glidden to cover the Valspar.

The Valspar just went bad from the getgo. It was suppose to be satin and turned out to be what everyone else's gloss or semi-gloss would be. Then we got some flat paint and mixed it 50/50 with the satin to make it satin but the sheen across the wall was blotchy. I couldn't see wasting the expense of another day's labor fighting with that paint so I pretty much so I talked my customer into a different brand of paint. Still there was a couple walls I had to put two coats on before the sheen would even out.

I've uses both Duration and Resilience for exterior painting and it went well. I've just never used the interior version.
Steve Neul is offline  
post #28 of 34 Old 04-15-2017, 04:26 PM
Advanced Color Matcher
 
ColorStylist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 292
View ColorStylist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I didn't know that. I heard somewhere Color Place was made by Glidden is why I bought Glidden to cover the Valspar.

The Valspar just went bad from the getgo. It was suppose to be satin and turned out to be what everyone else's gloss or semi-gloss would be. Then we got some flat paint and mixed it 50/50 with the satin to make it satin but the sheen across the wall was blotchy. I couldn't see wasting the expense of another day's labor fighting with that paint so I pretty much so I talked my customer into a different brand of paint. Still there was a couple walls I had to put two coats on before the sheen would even out.

I've uses both Duration and Resilience for exterior painting and it went well. I've just never used the interior version.
I didnt know it either until I got with Sherwin.

Matching colors on different substrates is easy. All it takes is patience and beer.
ColorStylist is offline  
post #29 of 34 Old 04-15-2017, 04:55 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 26,251
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
water based auto paint news

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorStylist View Post
If I wasnt subjected to have to use waterbourne systems from time to time because of my line of work, I would probably feel the same way. However, since I have to use them from time to time, you would be surprised how easy they are to use, and the results you can get. No one ever would have thought a water based paint could be applied on automobiles many years ago. A friend of mine says he actually likes it better than applying base coat/clear. I would be scared to death to go back painting cars and starting out with a waterbourne system.
I had thought new cars were "power coated", but I found this new process that save millions of gallons of water, much time on the assembly line reducing it to only 2 steps and one baking process:
http://gas2.org/2014/05/30/video-new...nd-clear-coat/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #30 of 34 Old 04-16-2017, 03:37 PM
Advanced Color Matcher
 
ColorStylist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 292
View ColorStylist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I had thought new cars were "power coated", but I found this new process that save millions of gallons of water, much time on the assembly line reducing it to only 2 steps and one baking process:
http://gas2.org/2014/05/30/video-new...nd-clear-coat/
Cool, I have no idea what car manufacturers apply to new cars. I do know that most try to go "green" where they can.

A friend of mine does body repair and he now uses waterbourne products and swears by it.

Matching colors on different substrates is easy. All it takes is patience and beer.
ColorStylist is offline  
post #31 of 34 Old 04-16-2017, 06:04 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 26,251
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It's the darn VOC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorStylist View Post
Cool, I have no idea what car manufacturers apply to new cars. I do know that most try to go "green" where they can.

A friend of mine does body repair and he now uses waterbourne products and swears by it.
THis is interesting regarding the increased use of waterborne finishes to reduce harmful VOCs:
https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2012...-auto-industry

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #32 of 34 Old 04-16-2017, 09:06 PM
Advanced Color Matcher
 
ColorStylist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 292
View ColorStylist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
THis is interesting regarding the increased use of waterborne finishes to reduce harmful VOCs:
https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2012...-auto-industry
Yep, California is very strict on VOC regulations. Im surprised all states have not imposed harsher regulations to go green.

Parts of China has threatened to go green for the last 2 years now, but always seem to put it off. It will cost many factories a fortune to switch over to a "water only" system.

Matching colors on different substrates is easy. All it takes is patience and beer.
ColorStylist is offline  
post #33 of 34 Old 04-16-2017, 10:13 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 26,251
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
A bigger issue ....

The world is running out of clean water. Just ask Californians. Then they get record rainfalls that create mud slide because there are no plants to retain the soil because they all dry up from the drought. I don't know how much this would affect a large factory, but I'm sure water recycling would be a cost benefit. Dirty Jobs and Mike Rowe did a show on turning waste water...?? into drinking water, if I recall.

I reread that link from SEMA and I was totally impressed with the waterborne process!. I wonder if there is any research on applying it to wood surface?
https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2012...-auto-industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorStylist View Post
Yep, California is very strict on VOC regulations. Im surprised all states have not imposed harsher regulations to go green.

Parts of China has threatened to go green for the last 2 years now, but always seem to put it off. It will cost many factories a fortune to switch over to a "water only" system.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-16-2017 at 10:37 PM.
woodnthings is online now  
post #34 of 34 Old 04-16-2017, 11:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,995
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I think a lot of people have this opinion of waterborne car paint.
Attached Images
 
Steve Neul is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mineral spirits gel DNK Wood Finishing 2 03-31-2017 08:56 AM
how to remove adhesive residue rwsee General Woodworking Discussion 5 04-15-2016 02:12 PM
Question About Mineral Oil Finishing Nick90Spartan General Woodworking Discussion 15 02-22-2016 02:12 PM
Tape residue on krylon max spray paint Cornholio29 General Woodworking Discussion 1 10-09-2015 05:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome