hvlp spraying help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 06-03-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

View ponch37300's Photo Album My Photos
hvlp spraying help

Well I finally got around to spraying some of my cabinet doors. I bought a conversion hvlp gun to hook up to my compressor. I'm spraying an oil based primer. It seems like little speckles are coming out and creating an orange peel look. I thinned it with mineral spirits a little and added some penetrol. I have my air pressure set at around 8 psi. The paint seems to be leveling out alright but not perfectly smooth so I'm thinking there is something I can do to get it a little better. I'm thinking I should thin the primer a little more? Any help on spraying for beginners will be appreciated! Thanks

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-03-2009, 06:09 PM

View Jim Tank's Photo Album My Photos
Ready or not, here we go..... orange peel is caused by the product not being atomized enough and so the particulates are too big, thus a spotted or orange peel effect. Any product or primer in this case can only be thinned so far before it loses it intended qualities. Like a protective and sandable covering, so check the directions for thinning on the label. All types of product are diffo, so don't go by heresay. If you have thinned to the maximum amount and are still getting orangepeel, then you have too increase air pressure and make sure you have a compatable spray pattern or spread adjusted on the gun... practice pieces make alot of sense for this. Spraying a great finish is an art form and over the years I have discovered that even manufacturers may or may not know the true facts of life. You have to play around with different settings and consistancies to acheive the finish that makes your mom say,"That's my boy!!!"
post #3 of 14 Old 06-03-2009, 06:24 PM

View Chad's Photo Album My Photos
I sprayed cars for eleven and a half years using an hvlp. My advice almost same as the above Increase your air pressure a little at a time and possible choke down on the fluid control. Test on a scrap piece till it is what your looking for. Also for an hvlp if you thin to much it will look nicer temporarily, but then may leave curtains (runs) besides it breaking down to much what your spraying and possible breakdown of the finish prematurely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-03-2009, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jim and Chad. I will try again tomorrow and try uping the air pressure a little bit and see what happens. And hopefully it does make mom say "that's my boy" since the cabinets are actually hers! Thanks guys.

Thanks for your help
post #5 of 14 Old 06-04-2009, 09:10 AM

View Alan P Oliver's Photo Album My Photos
A number of aspects need to be considered:
Temprature of spraying area, this will affect the flow (79 - 80 F).
Sieve the product using proprietry product or nylon stockings (ladies legs not in them at the time!).
The visco(u)sity - there will be an optimum flow rate for the product. Find out from your supplier/manufacturer and adjust accordingly. Use a viscousity cup. Product should travel a specified hieght in a specified time.
Check spray tip is appropriate diameter for product.
Make sure gun is thouroughly clean within.
If this all checks out increase pressure and build up using thinner coats and/or cut back with abrasives between coats.

I think I've covered everybase. Good Luck! Alan

Other subjects tackled on my site www.woodfinishinghelp.wordpress.com
post #6 of 14 Old 06-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
8 psi seems awful low. I have a low pressure HVLP gun and it is designed for 29 psi. I have others that are designed for 43 psi. Are you sure your gun is designed for this low of a pressure?

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #7 of 14 Old 06-05-2009, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

I'm not sure about the pressure Leo. The instructions didn't say what pressure to set it at. The gun is this one http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html

I got 8 psi from posting on this forum a while ago about using an hvlp and someone mentioned that low of pressure. I didn't get to spray anymore but once I get the chance I'm going to start turning up the pressure and see if I can get the paint to spray without the speckles. Thanks for your advice.

It's a learning process but hopefully once I get everything dialed in it will go pretty good and look nice.

Thanks for your help
post #8 of 14 Old 06-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

The link you showed me says 15-18 psi at the gun before the trigger is pulled. This is the incorrect way to set your pressure. It does not take line pressure drop into account this way. I would set it up for 18 psi with the trigger 1/2 pulled (no paint just air). That should be your starting point. Thin your material accordingly. If you get speckles you need to thin more.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-11-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing your expertise. I thinned a little more and turned the pressure up to around 18 psi with trigger half pulled. Worked great. This is a great gun for the price. Thanks again to everyone, I learned alot from you guys.

Thanks for your help
post #10 of 14 Old 06-11-2009, 04:51 PM

View Jim Tank's Photo Album My Photos
You're welcome... we accept good cheese and some creamy dark Leinenhugel ale as the best thanks around! I bet your MOM is proud.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-11-2009, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Mom is very happy and we only sprayed the primer so far. Still have to do the top coat but after today I feel comfortable with that. It took a little playing around with air pressure, fluid control, pattern size, and thining the paint but after playing for a while and learning what each one actually does when you adjust it things went pretty smooth.

If you are ever around appleton wisconsin I will gladly by you whatever beer you would like and some cheese to go with it. The knowledge I gain from these forums is well worth some beers! Thanks again guys.

Thanks for your help
post #12 of 14 Old 06-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

Geeze Jim, yer taking my wine and cheese....

Scott, glad we could be of help. Hope that your project goes well.

post #13 of 14 Old 06-11-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Don't worry Leo I will be more than willing to repay you for your knowledge also if you are ever in wisconsin!

Thanks for your help
post #14 of 14 Old 06-11-2009, 10:05 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Scott,
I want some of those fried cheese curdles that they sell here:
Look familiar?

Mike Hawkins
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	green bay weekend 111107.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	9379  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode