How would you clean up this old walnut piece? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 12 Old 02-25-2016, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

View RAWoodAK's Photo Album My Photos
How would you clean up this old walnut piece?

This little coin cabinet is only 9 inches wide. Obviously, I don't want to sand the surface. I would like to clean it. What would you clean it with? I have some Bar Keeper's Friend (oxalic acid) that I was thinking of using to lighten some of the small dark stains, assuming they are not just on the surface. I'm not sure how to handle the stains on the top of the cabinet. I have a tin of Black Bison walnut paste wax which I was intending to use after I clean it. I'll need to darken the repair at one corner. I really like this little case and I don't want to mess it up. Any suggestions? Here is a link to see the pictures of the cabinet:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...netMyFirst.jpg

Thanks. Dick in Juneau Alaska
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-25-2016, 07:59 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If it were me I would use a 50/50 mixture of Old English Scratch Cover for dark wood and Lemon Oil. Use it with 0000 steel wool. If the stains can be gotten out without refinishing the steel wool will do it. Oxalic acid only works on unfinished wood.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-26-2016, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
If it were me I would use a 50/50 mixture of Old English Scratch Cover for dark wood and Lemon Oil. Use it with 0000 steel wool. If the stains can be gotten out without refinishing the steel wool will do it. Oxalic acid only works on unfinished wood.
Thanks Steve!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-27-2016, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If it were me I would use a 50/50 mixture of Old English Scratch Cover for dark wood and Lemon Oil.
I wonder if the Old English Scratch Cover for dark wood might be a little too dark? I could try mixing equal parts dark & light and see how that looks. Steve, have you ever done that? Thanks.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-27-2016, 10:46 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWoodAK View Post
I wonder if the Old English Scratch Cover for dark wood might be a little too dark? I could try mixing equal parts dark & light and see how that looks. Steve, have you ever done that? Thanks.
It's not too dark. The only thing it will color is nicks and scratches. As dark as that piece is you could use the scratch cover without the lemon oil. I have used that before. I learned it about 20 years ago from a antique shop I was doing repair work for. They cleaned all of their darker furniture with it before putting it out for sale. You would be surprised at the difference. It almost makes it look like the furniture got a fresh coat of finish on it. They just used rags with it though. I started using it with steel wool to cut more of the dirt off.
RAWoodAK likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-29-2016, 11:51 AM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
Most Old English finishers are based on mineral spirits. For their "Lemon Oil" they use mineral spirits with small dollop of artificial lemon odorant. For their "dark" product they add an oil based dye. The mineral oil is a non-drying oil which is why you need to apply and wipe it dry. Because it never dries, any dust in the air will be attracted and adhere to the surface. It's like the product is assuring its own refinishing market. A damp rag will clean furniture surfaces just fine.

Their products do not generally damage a surface but they do not protect the surface either.

Howie..........
post #7 of 12 Old 03-19-2016, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If it were me I would use a 50/50 mixture of Old English Scratch Cover for dark wood and Lemon Oil. Use it with 0000 steel wool. If the stains can be gotten out without refinishing the steel wool will do it.
Steve, I used your method and it came out fantastic! Much better than I had hoped. Thanks so much!!!!
post #8 of 12 Old 03-19-2016, 08:10 AM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
post #9 of 12 Old 03-29-2016, 04:46 PM

View MatthewEOD's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWoodAK View Post
Steve, I used your method and it came out fantastic! Much better than I had hoped. Thanks so much!!!!
I dont suppose you would show us the finished product would you?
post #10 of 12 Old 04-12-2016, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

the finished little coin cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewEOD View Post
I dont suppose you would show us the finished product would you?
Here is the finished project. I think it came out great. It was a trade-off between trying to keep as much of the original finish (shellac??) as possible while getting as much of the spotting out as possible. The original finish was pretty much gone before I started. The spots seemed to go down to bare wood. It has a nice sheen which didn't show up very well in the photos. I took a bunch of photos in a photo tent. Those came out very flat, so I put it on my kitchen table that I made from a tree in Fairbanks Alaska 40 years ago. These photos looked truer. Again, thanks for the help!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...etFinished.jpg
post #11 of 12 Old 04-13-2016, 12:54 AM

View MatthewEOD's Photo Album My Photos
That turned out great, thanks for sharing.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-13-2016, 11:46 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
It really turned out great. Good job on restoring the finish on a very well made little cabinet.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode