How to retain the look and feel of my table. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 01-23-2010, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

View Lewton's Photo Album My Photos
Smile How to retain the look and feel of my table.

Hi!

I'm new to your excellent forums and I'm in need of some advice please. Apologies if I sound pretty naive in my question, but thankyou for any help you can give me.

I recently bought, in a charity shop, a nice looking old fashioned dining table that needed sanding down and some degree of repair. I saw it and thought it had great potential. I think it's oak.

I've sanded it down and I really like the natural bare wood look of it and also the roughish bare wood (almost farmhouse -ey), feel as well.

What I need advice on is how treat the table (oil, varnish, etc., I just don't know), to retain these attractive qualities - the natural look and colour, and the farmhouse -ey roughish feel of the table. I don't want to change it's colour and I don't want it to look like it's been treated with anything other than to bring out/enhance the richness of its already attractive look. But I do want to protect it from susceptibility to marks from cups, spills, etc..

Can you give me any tips please?

Thankyou very much.

Lewton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-23-2010, 09:40 AM

View Julian the woodnut's Photo Album My Photos
Since you are unexperienced, I would suggest a wiping varnish or polyurethane. Just buy a regular can of poly or varnish from the big box store and mix it with equal parts of mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil. All you need to do is wipe on then wipe off, let dry and repeat about 4-5 times. This type of finish will give you the protection needed without worrying about brush strokes showing.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-23-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Thankyou Julian. I'll take your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-23-2010, 02:48 PM

View daryl's Photo Album My Photos
But won't this add a smooth finish to what he calls the "bare wood feel"?
post #5 of 11 Old 01-23-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Hi!

I do definitely want the wood to look AND feel as though it hasn't been treated/coated with anything.

I would like the natural richness of the appearance of the oak to be enhanced but I don't want a smooth finish, nor a glossy finish of any sort. Is this possible. I want it to have a rustic, country look and feel.

I thought I should just use a clear oil, but I'm not sure at all, being a novice.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-23-2010, 08:41 PM

View JW_in_Indy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl View Post
But won't this add a smooth finish to what he calls the "bare wood feel"?
No not really at all. With the polyurethane mixed 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 with mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil, you will get ultra penetration from the oil with a bit of protection from the poly. You won't be creating a "film" finish like you would with multiple coats of full strength poly.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-23-2010, 08:51 PM

View daryl's Photo Album My Photos
I knew I had seem furniture with bare wood look but never knew how to achieve it. Thats good to know.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-23-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks very much for your help everyone.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-24-2010, 12:16 AM

View JW_in_Indy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl View Post
I knew I had seem furniture with bare wood look but never knew how to achieve it. Thats good to know.
There are other ways too. You can buy a pre-made connotation of something similar to what Julian suggested usually called Danish Oil by most manufacturers. It may use a varnish rather than urethanes in the mix, but will have similar results. A lot of times, Danish Oils can also have pigments making them like a stain as well. But they are almost always a combination of BLO and drying agents like mineral spirits would be.

Last edited by JW_in_Indy; 01-24-2010 at 12:18 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-24-2010, 05:51 AM

View wseand40's Photo Album My Photos
Finishes

Make sure you don't get a semi-gloss or gloss finish, try a satin finish that will give it a flat sheen and very little luster. The key is to do some trial and error. In some cases you can use a 0000 steel wool pad to scuff it up a bit and take a bit of the luster out and not leave to much scuff marks. Has worked for me. I like minwax it works well but it does dry fast you can use a rag to apply it in thin layers. Urethane gives you good protection. From my experience oils wont give you as good of a protection. Oils - low sheen low protection Poly-Urethane - Good protection good sheen Varnish - high protection and high sheen. Acrylic or water based - good protection and adds no color to your wood.. Go to www.woodworkingonline.com and search for oils and varnishes great video. good luck.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-24-2010, 06:01 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewton View Post
I've sanded it down and I really like the natural bare wood look of it and also the roughish bare wood (almost farmhouse -ey), feel as well.
What I need advice on is how treat the table to retain these attractive qualities - the natural look and colour, and the farmhouse -ey roughish feel of the table. I don't want to change it's colour and I don't want it to look like it's been treated with anything other than to bring out/enhance the richness of its already attractive look. But I do want to protect it from susceptibility to marks from cups, spills, etc..Lewton.
It just ain't gonna happen.....sorry.
Somewhere along the way here, you are going to have to sacrifice some of your requirements.
A hard finish is your best protection. A hard finish will not give you a rough finish. It can give you a smooth warm finish, but not rough.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx

Last edited by Tony B; 01-24-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode