How do I refinish this? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

View mike-pru's Photo Album My Photos
How do I refinish this?

See photo. These letters are on the drawers and I'd like to keep them. They don't seem to be glued or pasted on--it appears they are stained on the drawer. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	43946  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	43947  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-pru View Post
See photo. These letters are on the drawers and I'd like to keep them. They don't seem to be glued or pasted on--it appears they are stained on the drawer. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance
if you remove the finish on the frounts those writting's will come off. If it were mine i would just put a finish on top of the old. The finish probly is lacqure. Try and confirm this . if you try go to the bottom and to the back where the finish is removed. Take just a little off. You may have to have another person that refinish's take a look?? good luck nice piece maybe just a good cleaning. if so watch out what you use also my 2 cents
post #3 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 09:38 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Without seeing the entire piece I can't assume the piece needs refinishing. Often the entire piece can be touched up and recoated but if you are going to refinish it, I would strip and sand everything except for the drawer. The drawer, I would clean with a wax and grease remover, touch up the nick spots and clear coat it. If you plan to finish the piece with a lacquer product you need to be very careful putting it on the old finish. Often the solvents in lacquer will lift and damage an old finish especially varnishes. You may need to test the finish in an inconspicuous place. Once you get the drawer finished like you want then stain and finish the rest of the furniture to match the drawer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

I've refinished the rest of the piece. Drawers need to be re-sanded and stained. I'd like to sand and restain, but not sure how to proceed. Trace around letters with a penknife (or something) and try to restain or paint. Should I have a template made and then re-stain?
post #5 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I've refinished the rest of the piece. Drawers need to be re-sanded and stained. I'd like to sand and restain, but not sure how to proceed. Trace around letters with a penknife (or something) and try to restain or paint. Should I have a template made and then re-stain?
I wouldn't sand on the faces where the lettering is. I wouldn't go jumping through hoops trying to determine what the finish is. If you try to re-letter (with a stain of some sort) the existing letters, you stand the chance of the stain bleeding beyond the letter edges. I would first clean the area, and touch up any areas with a stain to match.

Then get a coat or two of finish on top of that, before you do any sanding...even light sanding to remove rough areas, using 320x.

You can use most any film finish other than lacquer without a problem. I would use oil base varnish, oil base polyurethane, or waterbase polyurethane.

post #6 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 12:43 PM

View chemmy's Photo Album My Photos
Post a pic or two showing the whole cabinet as it stands now, with the new finish on. depending on the age, it may or may not be lacquer, if older than 1922, it would be shellac with or without varnish coats on top. If shellac alone, then it can be put back in good condition by applying 95% ethyl alcohol one coat brushed on one direction only wet, and left to dry, don't brush back and forth or you will remove some finish.

If shellac with varnish overcoats, again an amalgamator can be brushed on the same way to smooth and level the surfaces. What is really needed though are pics to determine it's age, unless you already know for sure or there are labels or other indicators that can be used to know in one of the drawers or on the back or even underneath, look and see if your not sure OK?

Sincerely,

CHEMMY

Last edited by chemmy; 05-02-2012 at 02:09 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-07-2012, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

I've sanded, stained and poly'ed the rest of the piece. What I'd like to do is sand, stain and PU the front of the drawers, while keeping the letters on the drawers. If I sand, I'll remove the letters. Is there any way to keep the letters intact, and still sand, stain, etc. Carving, template, ???? Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike
post #8 of 9 Old 05-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I've sanded, stained and poly'ed the rest of the piece. What I'd like to do is sand, stain and PU the front of the drawers, while keeping the letters on the drawers. If I sand, I'll remove the letters. Is there any way to keep the letters intact, and still sand, stain, etc. Carving, template, ???? Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike
I would touch up the field around the letters with a small artists brush and an oil base stain, or gel stain to match. Then I would use a stain the color of the letters, or a diluted flat oil base paint and just touch up with another artist's brush, any nicks on the letters.

Then I would apply an oil base varnish, or oil base polyurethane over it all , no prior sanding. After a few applications, that face can then be lightly sanded with 320x to smooth out, and then recoat.

post #9 of 9 Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
How close is the color of what you've refinished to the drawers? If the color is darker than the drawer I would scuff the finish and apply a dye to bring the color to the rest of the piece. The lettering is undoubtedly stenciled with paint so I would touch it up with paint. If you need to need to completely strip the drawers and sand them the lettering would be lost so you might not be able to restore it back to where you had it. You may have to get a professional sign painter to reconstruct the lettering. I would show it to someone and carefully photograph them before stripping the lettering off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode