How can I match these cabinets? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 09-22-2014, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

View Lloydd's Photo Album My Photos
How can I match these cabinets?

I have someone asking for a project to look like this... Could anyone tell me what wood and stain it would take to get these results? The cabinets look lighter in the picture. Thanks in advance.
Lloyd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-22-2014, 07:34 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Start with using maple wood or poplar. Matching the color takes a lot of tinkering for anyone regardless of the experience. The easiest way would be to take a door off the existing cabinet and some scrap sanded maple to a real paint store such as Sherwin Williams and have them mix the stain. Be sure you buy more than enough since it will be a custom mix. If you are intent on doing it yourself buy a oil based stain other than Minwax that looks close to the color you want but too light and buy another that looks too dark and mix them together until you achieve close to the color you want. Then if necessary you might have to add pigment to the mix to alter the color. Some paint stores sell pigment in bottles such as Cal-Tint you can use to alter stain color or tint paint. If that isn't available you might ask a paint store to sell you some pigment out of their machines. They usually keep clean empty containers they can dispense the pigment into but be prepared to take a container. I got some one time they put in a Styrofoam coffee cup. The colors in that stain are probably raw umber and black and maybe a slight amount of red oxide. Go easy in proportions mixing stain. It's not hard to start off trying to make a quart and end up with 5 gallons with all the tinkering it takes. It would also help if you took the time to measure the amount of each ingredient you put in it in case you need to make more.

The reason I said not to use Minwax is you can't add a color tint to Minwax stains. It will settle to the bottom and won't suspend. According to a guy I talked to at Minwax their stain is colored with dyes instead of pigments.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-22-2014, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much, I'll post results as they come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-22-2014, 11:13 AM

View Sawdustguy's Photo Album My Photos
Sherwin Williams does a good job of matching stain colors. I have used them to match the woodwork in my house. I have purchased the custom stain from the several times and they are able to duplicate a custom stain for a second purchase, I have purchased the same custom stain at least for times.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-22-2014, 12:48 PM

View mako1's Photo Album My Photos
Like Steve said,I woud also use maple.Sherwinn Williams has a stain called special walnut that would get you close.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-23-2014, 07:12 PM

View RandyReed's Photo Album My Photos
Ask Sherwin Williams

Looks like maple to me. Maple blotches real easy so I would match the color with a toner made with P63 vinyl basecoats reduced with thinner.....and that's what I suggest you ask them to match it in as well.

P63N5 Burnt Umber, P63Y10 Brite Yellow, and a touch of P63B1 Black with get you that color easily.

You can also apply a 12% washcoat over the toner and then apply a wipe stain to enhance the color if needed, but that color looks pretty straight forward to me and the toner should be all you need to apply. 2 coats of a sealer and 1 coat of topcoat and your done. However, I suggest a conversion varnish on kitchen cabinets.

Last edited by RandyReed; 09-23-2014 at 07:16 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-24-2014, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

You guys are awesome. Thanks so much!!
post #8 of 18 Old 09-24-2014, 02:50 PM
bzguy

View bzguy's Photo Album My Photos
Def looks like Maple with a "Walnutty" stain.
Easiest way to get a perfect match is purchase wood, bring some raw to custom stain mix store and they will get it by trial and error.
The guys I used to use would get it pretty quickly.
Bring one of the finished doors with it.

Last edited by bzguy; 09-24-2014 at 05:23 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-24-2014, 10:35 PM

View jjrbus's Photo Album My Photos
Sherwin Williams is a good place to go. However not all the clerks are good at matching stain. I have two stores nearby one clerk is useless and should give up trying. At the other store the man is an artist.

HTH JIm
post #10 of 18 Old 09-25-2014, 10:57 AM
bzguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
Sherwin Williams is a good place to go. However not all the clerks are good at matching stain. I have two stores nearby one clerk is useless and should give up trying. At the other store the man is an artist.

HTH JIm
Just south of you in Naples is American Paint on Taylor rd.
They get it right every time.
post #11 of 18 Old 09-25-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzguy View Post
Just south of you in Naples is American Paint on Taylor rd.
They get it right every time.
Thanks, at the SW store on Del Prado in Cape Coral, the man is really good.
JIm
post #12 of 18 Old 09-25-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post

HTH JIm
I totally agree with you. We have some sale reps that are totally clueless and I still cant figure out how they got into furniture finishing in the industrial coatings side.

I also swear there are some that don't know the color wheel......but Ive also seen that with Valspar and AKZO too when I worked there.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-25-2014, 06:35 PM

This thread is going to get bigger than "last person to post wins" if every paint store in the world that has someone that can mix stain is listed.
post #14 of 18 Old 09-26-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
This thread is going to get bigger than "last person to post wins" if every paint store in the world that has someone that can mix stain is listed.

The Sherwin Williams store on N Cleveland ave in N Ft Myers does not mix stain, so I will not post about that one. JIm
post #15 of 18 Old 09-26-2014, 03:52 PM
bzguy

2 people from the same neighborhood exchange some helpful info and it gets compared to the inane "Last person to post wins"?
post #16 of 18 Old 10-21-2014, 12:24 AM

View rf58's Photo Album My Photos
this is the hardest thing to do in wood working MATCH A FINISH so what i you might consider is robing doors from some incospicious place and change the finish there to a paint just a thought ------ i have done it several times.. GOOD LUCK i have even changed all the bottom cabinets to paint . if you master the match let us know how you did it..
post #17 of 18 Old 10-21-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf58 View Post
this is the hardest thing to do in wood working MATCH A FINISH so what i you might consider is robing doors from some incospicious place and change the finish there to a paint just a thought ------ i have done it several times.. GOOD LUCK i have even changed all the bottom cabinets to paint . if you master the match let us know how you did it..
Unless a person is color blind anyone can match a color. The key is patience. It just takes adding a little of this and a little of that until you achieve the color. The more experience a person has makes it quicker but anyone with determination can match a color. I got my start doing antique repair and restoration where I would have to make a new part for a piece of furniture and color it to match the rest of the piece. Equipment and supplies help too. Sometimes it takes a wide variety of stains to intermix but would really helps is dyes. Often you can easily get close when mixing the oil stain and then finish the color spraying a dye over the top to ease up on the color in layers. Sometimes if you mix an oil stain and try it on scrap it will look great and when you put it on the project it comes out too dark and that's harder to fix so it would have been better to sneak up on the color. Sometimes the stain is too red or not red enough. If it's too red you can spray a green dye over the top and it will turn more brown. If it's not red enough a red dye can be sprayed over the top. The bottom line is when matching colors you need a good supply of different stains and dyes, a compressor and a paint sprayer.
post #18 of 18 Old 10-21-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
The bottom line is when matching colors you need a good supply of different stains and dyes, a compressor and a paint sprayer.
And plenty of substrate that is the same species of what your matching to!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode