Help, trying to re-stain old rough cut pine. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 01-26-2016, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

View JenNiz's Photo Album My Photos
Help, trying to re-stain old rough cut pine.

I could really use some help. We bought an old home, the newest room is 40 years old and has rough cut knotty pine paneling. It's been stained once, but we removed old shelving and now we have large areas without stain and it looks awful. Any suggestions how I go about cleaning the wood (it's a room off the kitchen so I'm sure there's grease buildup) and then staining it again? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-26-2016, 04:13 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Can you post some pictures? It's difficult to say what options you might have without seeing it. If it looks like what I'm thinking the only fix doing it yourself would mean to strip the finish off the entire wall and refinish it. A touch up wouldn't be something you could do yourself. It would take a furniture refinisher with a lot of experience to attempt a touch up. It's not only an issue with stain the old varnish is probably yellowed too adding to the overall color. Sometimes you have to muddy up the finish with some pigment and use some amber shellac to reproduce the yellowing of the finish. This is something that I can't describe from here is why you would need a furniture refinisher. Even if the entire room is pine if you just take the finish off that one wall you might get close enough to matching the color few folks could tell the difference.

Tags
cleaning, pine, rough, stain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode