help for table finish repair - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-25-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

View kps92's Photo Album My Photos
help for table finish repair

Hi! Not sure if this is the correct forum, but hopefully someone can help. We have a table that is walnut stained without coating. A vinyl tablecloth with the felt backing was left on the table for too long to remember. Upon removing the tablecloth, fibers remained stuck to the wood. The table was in a location that received lots of sun, so we suppose the fibers melted onto the surface. We were able to remove some by gently using a scotchbrite pad with no apparent damage to the finish. Still, many fibers will not come off. Does anyone have suggestions on how to remove this without having to refinish the table? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-25-2010, 09:22 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kps92 View Post
......... We have a table that is walnut stained without coating. A vinyl tablecloth with the felt backing was left on the table..... Upon removing the tablecloth, fibers remained stuck to the wood. ... We were able to remove some by gently using a scotchbrite pad with no apparent damage to the finish. Still, many fibers will not come off......how to remove this without having to refinish the table? Thanks!
The only way I know of to remove the fibers down into the surface, will probably damage the surface also. That would be to use a card scraper. Most strippers will also remove most of stain if an oil based stain was used, then it would be easy to re-stain and get it even.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #3 of 4 Old 01-25-2010, 04:13 PM

View JW_in_Indy's Photo Album My Photos
I would first try wiping it down with mineral spirits and your 3M "scotchbrite" type synthetic pad. You can use some fairly strong pressure as long as you only go with the grain. Go to your hardware store and pick up one of the synthetic finishing pads. You'll find them in the sandpaper section. They are much more refined than one made for scrubbing pots and pans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Rick Mosher

View Rick Mosher's Photo Album My Photos
There is a product called Goof-off that may work. You can get it at Home Depot or most good paint stores.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode