Help on a refinishing box - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

View BLOCKADERUNNER's Photo Album My Photos
Help on a refinishing box

Hello everyone, you got a NewB here (to a forum). I can use a little help on a finish. Several years ago I built my wife a walnut & mahogany jewelry box. She past in 2006 and I wanted to clean it up (been in storage) and give it to one of my Granddaughters.
So I sanded it until I got to the wood, then wiped it down with either denatured alcohol or mineral sprits and put about 8 coats of deft on it. Didnít really notice it until a day later, but I had fish eyes in the finish.
I can remember wiping it down with tung oil to give it some shine back, but this was years ago and I would have thought after sanding it down and a chemical wipe down any tung oil would be gone.
I know I have to sand all the coats off again, but should I wipe it down with lacquer thinner this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOCKADERUNNER View Post
Hello everyone, you got a NewB here (to a forum). I can use a little help on a finish. Several years ago I built my wife a walnut & mahogany jewelry box. She past in 2006 and I wanted to clean it up (been in storage) and give it to one of my Granddaughters.
So I sanded it until I got to the wood, then wiped it down with either denatured alcohol or mineral sprits and put about 8 coats of deft on it. Didnít really notice it until a day later, but I had fish eyes in the finish.
I can remember wiping it down with tung oil to give it some shine back, but this was years ago and I would have thought after sanding it down and a chemical wipe down any tung oil would be gone.
I know I have to sand all the coats off again, but should I wipe it down with lacquer thinner this time.
The fisheye is caused by silicone, most likely from aerosol furniture polish. It penetrates through the finish and gets into the wood so it's a lot easier to deal with it than to get rid of it. You don't have to sand all the finish off. You just have to sand it free of the fisheye marks. Then when you apply another coat of finish add silicone to the finish. You can get the silicone additive at places that sell automotive finishes. One of the most common is smoothie. Some places call theirs fisheye control solvent. Normally just a few drops to a quart is enough to make the finish flow out. If your spraying the finish be careful not to get the over spray on anything else you are working on or it will fisheye too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
BLOCKADERUNNER (03-09-2013)
post #3 of 3 Old 03-07-2013, 10:43 PM

View thetexaswoodworks.com's Photo Album My Photos
Another fix-if spraying. Dry spray several coats (3-4) on the piece. This "covers" the contamination. Then put on your wet coats.
The Following User Says Thank You to thetexaswoodworks.com For This Useful Post:
BLOCKADERUNNER (03-09-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode