Woodworking Talk banner

Help finishing Walnut front door.

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  WeebyWoodWorker 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey, guys years ago I had some Walnut cut off our farm for a future home build. Well the day has finally come and I had a front door made that I now need to finish. I have read until my head is about to explode on finishing. Any help would be appreciated. I want to use waterlox and I am using some walnut four my countertops as well I would love to use the same or similar process on both. Some of my concerns are the size of the door and products drying too quick. I bought some behlen solar lux dye hoping to lock in the color and keep the wood from fading, but I am worried about it blotching. It did some on a test piece. So now I am trying to figure out the best blotch control product. Ordered some bullseye dewaxed shellac sanding sealer to try. Also considered Charles Neil's blotch control product. Also wondering if I should fill the pores. Wet sanding with tongue oil seems like it might be good compatible idea but it seems you sand that very finely and waterlox only recommends sanding to like 150 grit. I spent a lot of time and money on this door and don't want to screw it up! I also want to keep the natural look of the wood as much as possible. Thanks.

#5 ·
Pretty door! Is the sun going to be directly on it at any time during the day?

David

There is a chance it may not see any direct sunlight. It faces west under a porch 7' deep and there is a tree line not too far away that starts throwing shade in the evening. I won't know for sure until they get the decking on the porch, but at most maybe the bottom third of the door could see an hour of sunlight.

#4 ·
That is a beautiful door, please show us the rest of your house I bet it's beautiful too. It's going to take a lot of work to keep this door in good shape and I feel for you. Even if you don't get direct sunlight on it it's still going to be a problem.

PS- It sure is a show stopper.

#6 ·
That is a beautiful door, please show us the rest of your house I bet it's beautiful too. It's going to take a lot of work to keep this door in good shape and I feel for you. Even if you don't get direct sunlight on it it's still going to be a problem.

PS- It sure is a show stopper.

Not much to show but some framing right now. I can post some later when I get some brick and windows. I hope you are exaggerating. I know the door will need some maintenance, but I hope by choosing the right finish for the job it won't be too bad. One reason I like the idea of the waterlox is it shouldn't need a lot of prep work to put a new coat on whenever it needs it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.