Help with finish - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-10-2009, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

View toolman Steve's Photo Album My Photos
Help with finish

I am making a plaque for my wife's diplomas and don't know weather to finish it with clock resin or something other kind of finish. Also I don't know what to use to glue them to the wood with first , I don't want the glue to show through the paper it is very expensive to make these copies here is what I have so far it is not sanded and the edges are not rounded yet it is not even glued up yet. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	just wood 022.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	12186  

Steve M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-10-2009, 10:07 AM

View JW_in_Indy's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't glue the paper to the wood at all. Almost any type of liquid adheasive would likely bleed through the paper over time. Of course, you could use some sort of double sided tape type adheasive.... but I'm not certain how good that would look and/or last over time. Plus, the paper is then exposed to it's enviroment and subject to all kinds of stuff not good for it as well.

I would think about possibly recessing or routing out the wood where the diploma goes. Allowing the diploma to float (attaching it to nothing) in the recess and then securing some type of glass over the recess to protect the paper from the elements and UV rays it will encounter over it's lifespan. You could even take it a step further and attach the diplomas to a nice museum quality acid free matt under the glass.

A trip to a nice frame shop might be in order as well. They might have some products that will aid you in what you are trying to do. Or at least, some better ideas than what I'm able to offer. Of course, the knowlege base around here is pretty high. Hopefully, you will get some decent reply's and ideas here in a bit.

Good luck and nice design BTW....

Last edited by JW_in_Indy; 12-10-2009 at 10:10 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-10-2009, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

She does not want glass on it she want some kind of finish over the whole thing she has seen them on walls of co workers who say they got them that way for a gift.

Steve M.

Last edited by toolman Steve; 12-10-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-10-2009, 10:24 AM

View JW_in_Indy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman Steve View Post
She does not want glass on it she want in some kind of finish over the whole thing she has seen them on walls of co workers tho say they got them that way for a gift.
Hmmm.... well sir, that's way above my pay grade. Maybe a trip to a craft store like a Michaels might be in order?

Too bad she doesn't want glass.... you can get some pretty high tech museum quality glass today, that pretty much disappears AND protects what's underneath it. But, when women have their minds made up you simply can't change them I understand totally.

Good luck....
post #5 of 7 Old 12-10-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys ,I guess I will have to go to the trophy shop and talk to them.

Steve M.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Rick Mosher

View Rick Mosher's Photo Album My Photos
What you're talking about then is decoupage. Go to Michaels or your local craft store and buy yourself some acrylic matte gel medium. It will be in the artists paint section. TRY THIS ON SOMETHING UNIMPORTANT BEFORE YOU DO THE EXPENSIVE ONES! Paint the gel medium on the back of the paper (good wet coat) and stick it down where it goes, now paint on a full wet coat on the top also. When it dries you will have decoupaged the paper to the wood. Finish as desired with your pour on resin or whatever you want. ( You may want to apply a very thin seal coat to your wood first before decoupage.)
post #7 of 7 Old 12-10-2009, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rick, This sounds somewhat like what I was looking for. I will cheek with our local craft store this weekend. I have done polyester resins before but only on large tables.

Steve M.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode