Help with el cheapo cabinetry please. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 02-17-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

View Double T's Photo Album My Photos
Help with el cheapo cabinetry please.

I'm trying to spruce up my kitchen a bit and have a problem with the cabinets. The lower ones (where water sometimes splashes on them) have areas where the finish has worn away. The cabinets are made of a soft fiberous material like particle board with a wood grain veneer. Is there some type of colored wax or something I can use to rub on to the damaged areas to hide/repair the damage? I want to keep this project is low budget and low labor. I don't think the cabinets will stand much sanding.
Thanks.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-17-2010, 10:08 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Joe in order to help some pictures of the cabinets and the damage will probably help. I will do what I can but there are allot of others on here that will probably know more. Either way pictures would be very helpful.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-18-2010, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Pictures are a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	13542  

Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	13543  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-18-2010, 09:28 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
i may be wrong here, but in the pictures, the cabinets and door/drawer fronts appear to be red oak. have you tried sanding an inconspicous area to see what happens? the drawer and doors appear to be solid wood, and are candidates for refinishing - stripping and refinishing. the cabinet face frames may be solid as well, or veneered. in eiher case could also be refinished. if that sounds too hard, maybe a light sanding and a wipe on finish. others will chime hopefully.

Last edited by TimPa; 02-18-2010 at 11:43 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I would give Tim's suggestion a try. I would use a pigmented oil base stain and see if it blends in well.

post #6 of 8 Old 02-18-2010, 09:45 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
The grain might be 'photographed' onto the MDF or Particleboard substraight.
If that be the case, you can buy touch-up markers in various flavors and basically 'repaint' the missing areas.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B

Last edited by Tony B; 02-18-2010 at 09:47 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-18-2010, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Tim, I think you are right about the red oak. The doors and drawer fronts have a very thin veneer and the frames are solid wood. I tried wiping some Cabots stain on a spot and it was a little blotchy. I'm worried about sanding too much because the veneer is so thin. Most of the cabinets look great so I don't want to refinish all of them if I don't need to. Do you have any brand/color suggestions for a wipe on finish?
post #8 of 8 Old 02-19-2010, 09:50 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
color? to me it looks like a dark walnut stain on oak. least effort technique? two choices 1. try to restain or darken the absent areas, you can do this with a touch-up color pen, brown magic marker, etc. 2. remove the top coat with a sanding (start light maybe 220 grit), then steel wool/mineral spirits, then stain, re-apply top coat. in both cases color experimentation is required. good luck, post back with your decision and results

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode