help! carved lettering staining? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tony B

post #1 of 5 Old 01-29-2011, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

View EJTibbetts's Photo Album My Photos
help! carved lettering staining?

Hello all!

I am brand new to the world of woodwork, its something I have wanted to get into for years. Here I am 25 and recently married and my wife and I bought a dremel a week or so ago and I decided to do small crafty things since we live in a tiny apartment right now. So not a whole lot of room for anything more than a dremel.

On to my question. I carved a sign for my parents. Other than a little standing, I'm pretty happy with my first project. My question (or I am open to suggestions), how can I make the lettering "pop" more? I was thinking maybe make the letters black or dark brown with a light stain on the rest. Keep in mind I do not know anything about these processes, when you respond.

Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to this new found hobby that will hopefully grow into furnishing my home one day!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum.

Try this,

Stain your letters dark, it will bleed on the surface, sand down till dark is gone.

You can then color your surface lighter or not, without affecting the dark.

Some brush poly, will make it pop!

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #3 of 5 Old 01-29-2011, 09:14 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Another take on that would be to spray the lettering with a can of black spray paint. You dont have to be real careful just make sure you get into all of the carved areas. Then sand the top surface and the paint will come up pretty easily and the black will remain in the carved area. Then go ahead and stain the whole thing. When you wipe up the stain, it will come right off the painted area. When finished and stain is dry, go ahead and brush Poly or Varnish on the whole area. If this is going to be an outdoor sign, I would use a marine varnish from a reputable marine store such as West Marine and not that Helmsman Spar Varnish which is a joke.
firehawkmph likes this.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-30-2011, 12:59 PM

View craftsman jay's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B
Another take on that would be to spray the lettering with a can of black spray paint. You dont have to be real careful just make sure you get into all of the carved areas. Then sand the top surface and the paint will come up pretty easily and the black will remain in the carved area. Then go ahead and stain the whole thing. When you wipe up the stain, it will come right off the painted area. When finished and stain is dry, go ahead and brush Poly or Varnish on the whole area. If this is going to be an outdoor sign, I would use a marine varnish from a reputable marine store such as West Marine and not that Helmsman Spar Varnish which is a joke.
That's pretty much how I've done and seen done. If you used a template then set that over to lessen the sanding.

Welcome to the forum! You've just taken your first steps into a much bigger world. Either way, you did a nice job carving, but being new, if you did that free-hand then very nice.

"My greatest creation wasn't made with my hands,
but my heart goes into everything I do." Craftsman Jay
post #5 of 5 Old 06-08-2019, 10:27 AM

View focker65's Photo Album My Photos
Before engraving put a good coat of wax on wood or material, engrave letters/design then paint or stain the lettering....wipe off paint/stain before it dries, it will soak into machined surface but not through the wax.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode