hELLO!! need some help!! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-17-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

View juanation's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to juanation
hELLO!! need some help!!

hey guys how you doing. This will be my first post in the forum. I'm relatively new in woodworking. I need some help on ow to finish a table im working on. My mother has a beautiful Mexican table which is what i want on mine. Its kind of a weather deterioration. ive tried muriatic acid and a metallic bristle brush but with no success. Tried again with the same brush but with hot water, and nothing. The wood im using is white pine. im beginning to think this is impossible please help me!

the pic i uploaded are form my mothers table!! cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17012010195.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	12957  

Click image for larger version

Name:	17012010193.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	12958  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-18-2010, 01:08 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
For weather deterioration, I use a sandblaster. Just a small unit. It will eat the soft wood rings like there is no tomorrow, and leave the harder rings standing proud. Only takes a few minutes.
If you have to buy a small sandblaster, get the pressure pot type. The syphon feed type is just a joke. These small sand pots can be had for under $100 at Harbor Freight, problem is that you will need an air compressor with about 8-10 CFM at 90 PSI.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #3 of 8 Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

View juanation's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to juanation
mmmm good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
For weather deterioration, I use a sandblaster. Just a small unit. It will eat the soft wood rings like there is no tomorrow, and leave the harder rings standing proud. Only takes a few minutes.
If you have to buy a small sandblaster, get the pressure pot type. The syphon feed type is just a joke. These small sand pots can be had for under $100 at Harbor Freight, problem is that you will need an air compressor with about 8-10 CFM at 90 PSI.

that seems like a good idea!!! but can you tell me the whole process please. How do i start?!?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-24-2010, 05:34 AM

View wseand40's Photo Album My Photos
distressing wood

You maybe able to rent a sand blaster from a store so you wont need to buy one unless you have another need for one. Although it might be just as expensive do your home work. I would try the sandblasting on a inconspicuous spot in case it doesn't work like you want it to. Just take the nozzle and move it back and forth like you would if you were spray painting. Move it closer or further away as needed to get the desired look. You can sand the edges to give it a scuffed look. The key is to take your time and do some trial runs on an unused piece or inconspicuous portion. If you are going to stain it either use an antique stain or a darker stain and wipe off quickly. as before trial and error will help out considerably.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-24-2010, 06:56 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
You really didn't say what you want to achieve. I would start with a chemical stripper and get off whatever there is right to the wood. Then, I would block sand the surface.

post #6 of 8 Old 01-31-2010, 05:50 PM

View Alan P Oliver's Photo Album My Photos
If your trying to get a raised growth rings, you would have to pick a similar grained pattern of wood to your mothers table. If you don't have the equipment to sand blast, you could try using a hard wire brush. This will take out the soft in between fibres, but, obviously the results will depend on your wood choice. The wire brush should have separated rows of bristles to clear the annular rings. Don't use water based finish as it may react with any wire particles left behind. It's a fair bit of work involved!
post #7 of 8 Old 02-01-2010, 10:51 PM

View duffer's Photo Album My Photos
May be hard to believe

but when I use my pressure washer on my deck - I can get the same appearance if I am not careful. I have to keep the nozzle moving or the water pressure will take out the soft wood. And that is on treated deck boards. I have also had the same experience with cedar - another soft wood. You might want to give it a try if all else fails.

Duffer
post #8 of 8 Old 02-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I misread the original post. Thought it was to repair the finish. So, I'm back on track now (took my meds), and agree with what Tony says below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode