Hardwood Help!! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 07-24-2008, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

View pwilly78's Photo Album My Photos
Hardwood Help!!

Hi all, I am in the middle of having my Maple floors refinished, the refinisher has lots of experience, we checked references, he sent us pictures of his work and he is even with the Better Business Bureau, he finished sanding and just put the stain on, but unfortunately the stain looks horrible, it is very uneven producing what I can only what I can describe as a zebra striped pattern, the color on the floor was very smooth and even before it was refinished, he says it is because thatís just the way maple is. I think heís crapping on my cupcakes and calling it frosting. Has anybody seen anything like this before?
http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k467/pwilly78/?action=view&current=DSC00088.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-25-2008, 08:32 AM

View Big Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dave
Were the floors site finished before or were they prefinished? Maply does blotch just like pine but there are ways around it.

Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
post #3 of 9 Old 07-25-2008, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

the floor was factory prefinished
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-25-2008, 09:19 AM

View GROOVY's Photo Album My Photos
If you do the search thread for maple staining, you will find that it is a problem...
Was it dark before?
I tried many options and went through all my scrap pieces and still could not get a consistant color, the only one that worked was to color the lacquer and I have seen older furniture where this was done and all the chips, scratches and wear marks show because the wood is light under a transparent finish.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-25-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilly78 View Post
the floor was factory prefinished

That's what I thought. When they factory finish flooring they put the stain in with the finish so you get a more even color plus it cuts down on production time. Even in the same species of wood you will get different colors when you apply the stain directly to the wood.

There are ways around it but it may cost you more money. Talk to your floor finisher and tell him your not happy with the unevenness and see what he suggest.

post #6 of 9 Old 07-25-2008, 07:20 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
maple floor

Pwilly,
I looked at you picture and I have to agree, I wouldn't be too happy with the stain either. I would have to try something like what was stated above and tint the finish with some stain. Probably have to lightly sand the floors again to remove the present stain. If the finish is applied evenly, you should get a more even color and tone to the wood. The only other thing I can think of would also require sanding the floor again. Before staining, apply a wood conditioner to the entire floor. You can purchase a ready made product or take your finish and thin some down with the ration of one part finish to two parts thinner. Apply one even coat to the floor and let dry. Then when you stain it, the stain will produce a more even coloring. Then use your regular finish. You could also tint your finish some if you still want a more even tone. Hope this helps.
Mike Hawkins
post #7 of 9 Old 07-26-2008, 07:13 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Sanding the floor after it was stained will likely not remove the stain or even out the blotching. A chemical stripper may be the best way. It seems a professional floor finisher/refinisher should be able to suggest the best finishing option. You may need to use a conditioner like this. I wouldn't use the same guy. But now, you've got the cost of more work that somebody will have to eat.

post #8 of 9 Old 07-27-2008, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys, one more question, Do any of you know a finisher that can do this that also lives in Calgary, Alberta, Canada? My current finisher and I have butted heads. He thinks that the floor looks absolutely perfect and is not willing to do anything at all to try to change it, so I'm stuck with the options of finding someone who knows what they are doing or doing it myself.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-27-2008, 11:12 AM

Sorry but I'm not from that area so I can't help you. I do want to say that your floor finisher is being kind of stubborn. ONe thing I've always strived for is to please my customers even if I don't agree with what they want.

Check with a flooring distributor or showroom and they should be able to help you find a finisher that is willing to do the job right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode