Good finish for pine? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 10-13-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

View GISer3546's Photo Album My Photos
Good finish for pine?

I`m putting together a platform bed with some pine. Why pine?... because thats what I had. Im wondering how I should stain and finish it? I would like to stick with something natural and simple but I haven`t had much finishing experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-13-2014, 08:33 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
About the simplest finish would be Danish oil. You just wipe it on like stain until it won't take anymore and then wipe off the excess and let dry. If you want a film finish then I would recommend a wipe on polyurethane. You just wipe it on with a lint free cloth and allow to dry. Then with a very light sanding with 320 grit paper and apply another coat. Normally 5 or 6 coats will do it. The wipe on poly is thinner than brush on so you don't end up having to fight with brush marks. It takes more coats but easier to get good results. If you are going to stain the bed keep in mind pine is bad to blotch so be sure to use a pre-stain conditioner prior to staining.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-13-2014, 08:54 PM

View RandyReed's Photo Album My Photos
If you stain pine, I also suggest to use a pre conditioner or a washcoat which is a sealer reduced 1:1 with thinner. After applying washcoat, scuff sand with 320 grit.

I did a platform pine bed for a friend of mine with a "honey brown" stain I made with dye concentrates, reduced 1 part stain with 3 parts acetone and I spray applied it wet. Then I applied 1 coat of straight sealer, then I took some van dyke brown and dry brushed some areas to give it more of an abstract look with more emphasis on the head board. Then one more coat of sealer and a 10 sheen lacquer, again, everything was sprayed.

A "Gold Honey" or "Antique pine" color would look great.

This picture was similar to what I did, or what I ended up with I should say.
Attached Images

Last edited by RandyReed; 10-13-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-13-2014, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

View GISer3546's Photo Album My Photos
One of the few finishes I`ve used was danish oil. It was untinted because it was used on cherry. I notticed some darker danish oil at the store, could I add some stain to it and get a similar result? Would a wash coat still be suggested?
post #5 of 6 Old 10-13-2014, 11:42 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't play chemist and mix stain to the Danish oil. That would be diluting the oil. The tinted Danish oil is a mixture of oils and varnish with some pigment added. Stain is a little oil, pigment and mostly thinner. I would either add straight pigment to the Danish oil or buy some that was already tinted. Keep in mind that if you buy a tinted finish you will know the color in case you make some end tables or other furniture you want to match the bed. Then it would be easier to match. Yes you will need a wood conditioner when using a pigmented Danish oil on pine.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-14-2014, 07:47 AM

View RandyReed's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISer3546 View Post
One of the few finishes I`ve used was danish oil. It was untinted because it was used on cherry. I notticed some darker danish oil at the store, could I add some stain to it and get a similar result? Would a wash coat still be suggested?
Yes, you would still need a washcoat because of the added color to the oil.

Danish oil finish is a combination of Boiled lindseed oil, varnish and mineral spirits. It is sold under different brands. Watco is the most common. It is very easy to apply, soaks into the wood to protect it and seal it. You can have stain added to it to make a one step finish. I wouldnt add over 30% because if you do, your finish may end up looking too opaque.....or painted out looking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode