Getting uniform color for multiple planks of wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 11-30-2017, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

View Rdg73's Photo Album My Photos
Getting uniform color for multiple planks of wood

I am making a dining table using reclaimed 100 year old roof beams. I have planed the beams down to about 1 inch thick and Iím now getting ready to join them to make my table top. There is some slight variation in the wood color and Iíd like the table top to be fairly uniform in color yet still keep a very light/natural looking finish. Iím looking for suggestions on how to keep the color light but still get more uniformity.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-30-2017, 08:08 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
When you do a project like that you have to match the grain and color of the boards when you are building it. If you look close at a sheet of hardwood plywood it's not one cut of wood it's several pieces of wood. The grain of the wood is matched up to where it seems to flow from one strip to the other. When you are making a table top you use the same technique. In your case where you have some of the wood that is lighter you put all the light wood together so when finishing you can spray a dye or toner to even the color up if need be. Normally when you stain the wood it evens out on it's own. If not you sure don't want stripes of different colored wood. It's difficult enough to make the transition from one color to the other without doing it all over the top.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode