Fume hood/drying box - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By pro70z28

post #1 of 6 Old 12-07-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

View TooPicky's Photo Album My Photos
Fume hood/drying box

I do nearly 100% of my finishing with DEFT Lacquer, out of a spray can. In the summer, it's no problem, it goes to the garage. In the winter, though, it sucks because it doesn't really play well with the cold. Problem is, it makes the whole house stink, and the wife gets in a bunch about it. Even worse, we have a hot air system, and it's REALLY good at distributing the smell everywhere. So, I need some sort of solution. I'm thinking a vent hood of some sort, but it has to be small and custom, and portable - probably built by me. I do have a workbench, and an available cellar window to vent out of. A heating option would be nice, as it hovers around 55 - ish down there.

No, I don't want to use a water borne finish. I like the DEFT.
Needs to be small, 24x24 max.
Needs to be able to be taken off the bench and put somewhere out of the way.
A heat option would be nice.

Here's my main problem that I see; I could hit all my points, with one exception. This would require a fan to pull the fumes through the box, and exhaust to the outside. The DEFT is uhhh, very flammable. I doubt it'd be a good idea to pull those fumes past a motor.

Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-07-2018, 09:46 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
My 12'x22' shop is in the basement under a bedroom and the master suite. I use a small exhaust fan duct-ed to the outside through a drier vent to clear the shop of finishing fumes. My fan is a 3" HVAC duct booster and is located in corner of the shop opposite the entry door up in the joist space. It is brushless, so I don't think it is a hazard. I used the same set up in my old basement shop for 30 years with no issues. No smell issues upstairs and if there were, SWMBO would let me know. She HATES the smell of varnish and mineral spirits. I also have a warming box that can sit on the work bench under the vent fan. I use an incandescent light bulb for heat. Our home also has a forced air heating system, but I have taped all of the duct work joints that run through the shop just to keep any shop air from being drawn in or mixed.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"

Last edited by Jim Frye; 12-07-2018 at 09:53 PM. Reason: added text
post #3 of 6 Old 12-07-2018, 10:16 PM
Recycled Member

Location: Magnificently mountainous McBride in the Robson Valley
View Brian T's Photo Album My Photos
Make a "spray booth" out of a really big cardboard box.
Cut the shape needed with a Utility knife.

Stick everything together with a hot glue gun.
Add 1x2 or 1x4 with the glue gun for an external frame if you have to.
Add some cheap dryer duct for venting.

I had one from a dishwasher box that I used for airbrushing stuff for theatrical stage craft.
No mess out of the box at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-07-2018, 11:42 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
All that is affected is the drying time. Rattle can lacquer has quite a bit of retarder thinner in it for use in hot weather so in cold weather it dries slower than desired. In any case lacquer can be used below freezing. Once it is dry enough dust won't get in the finish you could put a window fan blowing on it to help with the drying however you probably can't get more than two coats a day and let it sit overnight before attempting to do any between the coats sanding.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-08-2018, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

View TooPicky's Photo Album My Photos
Interesting...I don't really know much about brushless motors, I'll look into that. I also was not aware that the cold didn't affect the Lacquer. Either way, spraying in the garage in the cold sucks, I'd rather do it inside.

What I was kinda thinking is to use some of that rigid foam board. It'd be light, and sturdy.stick a duct into the back, and put a fan inside the duct. Do you have to worry about putting a filter in front of the fan? If you don't, will the spray get on the fan and stick to it? I suppose you could put the fan on the other end of the duct...
post #6 of 6 Old 12-08-2018, 09:43 AM

View pro70z28's Photo Album My Photos
Back in the day I did screen printing down in the basement. The infrared curing unit would smoke up the basement in short order, because it's not a very large space. I removed a basement window, boxed in the opening and mounted an exhaust fan. It exhausts under the backyard deck, so it's hidden from view. I put a door over the opening with a pressure switch, so the fan would turn on when I opened the door. And a kill switch, for overkill I guess. I recently sold the screen printing equipment after years of non use. The fan is still in the window, still works. Comes in handy sometimes, just to air out the basement. All it has for filtration is a screen door type screen over the opening. Surprising how fast that screen filled up with fibers from the garments. Weather stripping to keep the drafts out.

To isolate the fumes further, you could build a box in front of something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust fan 1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	369073  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust fan 2 copy.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	369075  

BigJim, TooPicky and Brian T like this.

Last edited by pro70z28; 12-08-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode