Foot Locker Questions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 09-11-2013, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
GAF

View GAF's Photo Album My Photos
Foot Locker Questions

I am refinishing an old foot locker that looks like it may really have been through a war. It has a tremendous number of marks on it but I think that will give it tons of character when it is done.

I am looking for any feedback that people might have on these pieces.

Also I cannot identify the wood. Initially I thought it was simple pine but after sanding the different colorations in the wood suggest that this is something pretty different. The distinct colorations in the end grain are amazing.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gary
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 PM

View Acercanto's Photo Album My Photos
Wow, very nice chest! Sorry, can't help ya on the finishing. I'm very much a newb in that regard.
And I can't tell positively, but it could be Ash, it tends to have those wavy growth rings. Maybe somebody else will chime in with some other suggestions.

Acer
post #3 of 5 Old 09-11-2013, 10:14 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The wood is southern yellow pine. I bet it weighs a ton. Yellow pine runs a lot heavier than the whitewood pine you see in the box stores today. I would avoid using a oil based stain if you can. The stripes in it will be that much more pronounced because there is a great deal of difference in density between the hard parts of the grain and the softer wood between. Use a water based stain or a dye to get a more uniform color. The old finish looks like it might have been shellac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-12-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
GAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acercanto View Post
Wow, very nice chest! Sorry, can't help ya on the finishing. I'm very much a newb in that regard.
And I can't tell positively, but it could be Ash, it tends to have those wavy growth rings. Maybe somebody else will chime in with some other suggestions.

Acer
Thanks Acer. I think this is going to be a beauty when it has been refinished. It will have tons of character with all the marks that will remain.

Gary
post #5 of 5 Old 09-12-2013, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
GAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
The wood is southern yellow pine. I bet it weighs a ton. Yellow pine runs a lot heavier than the whitewood pine you see in the box stores today. I would avoid using a oil based stain if you can. The stripes in it will be that much more pronounced because there is a great deal of difference in density between the hard parts of the grain and the softer wood between. Use a water based stain or a dye to get a more uniform color. The old finish looks like it might have been shellac.

Steve that is excellent feedback for me. I will stay away from an oil based stain which would have been my default approach. Great heads up.

Gary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode