Fixing an opaque wax finish - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 10-23-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

View schrift's Photo Album My Photos
Fixing an opaque wax finish

Hi all,

Novice here, making a bench of some rough timber and black iron pipe. Aiming for a rough look, but no splinters on the seat, so I sanded the beam down a bit but left crevices there. Stained the wood with a minwax polyshades (stain + polyurethane in one step to seal it a bit).

Still felt rougher than I'd like, so I thought a wax finish might fill in the gaps a bit, smooth it (saw this suggested on the This Old House website). Got some TreWax clear paste wax, applied, but here's the "rub"...it fillls up the crevices and sits there waxy white. (see pictures). Thoughts on how to fix? Need to start all over by sanding it down or mineral spirits? Stain over that wax to color it?

Any suggestions much appreciated...just muddling my way through a DIY.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121022_103854.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	53571  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121022_103849.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	53572  

Last edited by schrift; 10-23-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-23-2012, 01:54 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I believe I would get the wax off and coat it a clear oil based polyurethane. I'm not going to kid you as rough as the bench is, it will be difficult to get enough wax off to do this. I would start with a scrub brush and a wax and grease remover. Work the wax loose with the scrub brush and blot the solution up with clean rags. Keep repeating the process changing the rags beyond getting the white off. Any trace of the wax left will prevent adhesion of the polyurethane you need to topcoat it with.

Tags
finishing problem, furniture refinishing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode