Fix raised veneer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 09-16-2020, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

View Jc Berrey's Photo Album My Photos
Post Fix raised veneer

Fist time post. Not sure if this is the right spot to ask for this kind of help, but here goes. I have a Drylund dining room table that has a raised veneer spot at one of the edges--picture included. Not sure how thick the veneer is, so not sure I can sand down. Was thinking about using syringe to inject a bit of wood glue and clamp down. Anyways, was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on how to repair this and then how to prevent this from happening in the future.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200913_181902.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	395545  

Last edited by Jc Berrey; 09-16-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-16-2020, 09:20 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, JC! Add your location to your profile, please.

You're better off uploading your photo here rather than posting a link; most won't click on a link.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
The Following User Says Thank You to difalkner For This Useful Post:
Jc Berrey (09-16-2020)
post #3 of 4 Old 09-16-2020, 11:23 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Take something very thin like an artist spatula and gently lift the veneer up enough to squirt some super glue under it. Then with a piece of plexiglass or a piece of wood with package sealing tape on the side down clamp the veneer down. The plexiglass won't stick and will protect the wood from the clamp. Before you use a clamp you might push it down and see if any glue oozes out. Have a rag handy to clean it up if it does. Most of the time the veneer is fixed without any further work. Sometimes the finish needs touching up but that is minor. If sometime there is a bubble of veneer in the middle you can use a utility knife and slit the veneer with the grain and squirt super glue there too. Most of the time what little damage is done by the utility knife is filled with the glue and no further repair is necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-18-2020, 10:02 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
what steve said. and, i like to do a dry test first by making sure the veneer will sit flat. try pressing it down, and if it doesn't flatten now, it wont with glue in it. you may need to lift it slightly and use a dental pick to dig a little, some comressed air to blow out, etc, until you get it to sit flat. sometimes the problem is in the layer of veneer below it, btdt. i removed 7 layers of veneer off an antique table once... all alternating directions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode