First Time Using Wood Conditioner - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

View MrSlurpee's Photo Album My Photos
I made a table for my entry way, and used poplar since my wife wanted me to match the trim in our house. After months of searching, the stain that most closely matches is Minwax Sedona Red. I stained the table and drawers on Tuesday and got a very blotchy look on the beveled edges of the drawer fronts. I did not use wood conditioner. I tried sanding the stain out, but the bevels ended up out of whack, so I'm just going to make some new drawer fronts, and then put the conditioner on before I stain.

Two questions... I use red or white oak on almost all of my projects, so I've never used wood conditioner. Any advice for a first timer and with poplar. And second, how different of a color will the drawer fronts be from the rest of the table that was stained without conditioner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-03-2013, 11:19 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't use a wood conditioner on your replacement drawer fronts. Had you used a conditioner on the entire project it would have been fine but now it will make the color too light. What would be better for the replacement drawer fronts is to greatly thin the stain you are using, stain it and when dry stain with the full strength stain. It may take some tinkering to get the right formula so practice on some scrap wood first. The oils in the stain will work as a conditioner and give it a little innitial color where the conditioner will just seal it.

The only real problem I've had with poplar is it shrinks more and is more prone to warp than oak. It does machine well and has been used for more than a hundred years by furniture companies as a secondary wood to use with walnut.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-03-2013, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

View MrSlurpee's Photo Album My Photos
I usually use poplar for projects that I paint, but since I was replicating our poplar trim, I was stuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlurpee View Post
I usually use poplar for projects that I paint, but since I was replicating our poplar trim, I was stuck.
Poplar is a pretty good wood to work with. The biggest problem finishing it is the natural color runs from white to green to black. Most people don't want multiple colors in the things they build. This is one of the reasons furniture companies use it with walnut a lot, so they can stain it dark.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-04-2013, 09:47 AM

View Bonka's Photo Album My Photos
Conditioner

I use Charles Neil's Blotch Control or make a hide glue sizing and both work great.
We have a fire place mantle that we tried out hide glue sizing for the first time and even the end grain is the same as the rest of the wood.
I made a test blanket chest from poplar and used the Blotch Control and put water based dye on it and one would have to take a good look to determine it is not cherry.
These are the two best methods I know of. The Minwax wood condioner is a waste of time, money and lumber IMHO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode