First time staining - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 02-05-2018, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

View Davidfirth's Photo Album My Photos
First time staining

Hi all,

New at floors and decided to give a refinish a try. Sanded to bare wood 36 60 80 100 then cleaned, water popped, let dry and stained. It's been about 40 hours and I'm getting these spots that appear to be remaining wet but are dry to the touch. I did wipe off right after applying so I'm a bit puzzled. Any advice would be appreciated. Dura seal quick coat was the stain used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6835_1517885961309.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	339753  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-05-2018, 11:17 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know what the spots are but I do know you shouldn't put water on wood unless you plan to sand it again. Water opens up the grain letting more stain in but it can also allow any substance in the wood to come out. Without seeing it first hand I think something in the wood oozed out.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-06-2018, 01:11 AM

View Sawdustmaker99's Photo Album My Photos
Why did you put the water on it? At the very minimum it raised the grain and made it rough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-06-2018, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

View Davidfirth's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the replies. I was advised by the supply house to water pop for a darker more uniform look. I was told that I could sand out in between the poly coats. No one seems to know what is causing it. Something oozing sounds more like what's happened. Looking like I may need to start all over I guess. Which is pretty awful lol
post #5 of 5 Old 02-06-2018, 01:55 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidfirth View Post
Thanks for the replies. I was advised by the supply house to water pop for a darker more uniform look. I was told that I could sand out in between the poly coats. No one seems to know what is causing it. Something oozing sounds more like what's happened. Looking like I may need to start all over I guess. Which is pretty awful lol
Wow, that is pretty amazing the supply house recommended wet mopping the floor. I think any painter would shutter at the thought. Now having said that it's a good idea to wet the wood between grit changes when sanding but once you have it ready for stain that would be unacceptable. Wetting the wood raises the grain and makes sanding more effective but it should always be sanded afterwards. If you looked at wood through a microscope wood looks like a cluster of drinking straws. When you sand with coarse paper the ends of the grain are all raveled and smash down. Wetting the wood makes the ends stand up so the finer paper can cut it better. The finer and finer you go with the sandpaper makes cleaner and cleaner cuts of the ends of the grain which makes for a better finish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode