First Spray gun - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
The Man

View Masterofnone's Photo Album My Photos
First Spray gun

My dad found in his treasure's he's accumulated over the years a Binks 2001 model spray gun and gave it to me (as he already has a spray gun.) I don't know how old it is, but I do know it's one of the older types where the liquid gets siphoned out of the cup rather than pressure fed. It's clean and disassembles easily. It was used to spray latex paint so I'm guessing the fluid needle/nozzle is around or above a 2.

Dad already has a compressor (ingersoll-rand 20gallon with a water extractor). What else would I need to get started spraying water-based dyes?

Bobby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Sawdust Mill Operator

View VIFmike's Photo Album My Photos
A Binks 2001 is not very old. We used to use them spraying CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating) on MRAP (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected) trucks back in 2008/2009. It's made for a pressure pot system. We bought just the guns and used them on HF pressure pots then eventually made our own system that held 9 gallons in each tank.

Most auto paint stores and Sherwin Williams stores stock all the replacement parts for them. The seal kit, the needle, needle seat etc. Plus they also stock several sizes of needle and nozzle for whatever style paint you are using.

BTW the CARC is real thick and abrasive so we used the largest needle and Nozzle and had to change them once a month. The needle would get a groove worn in it from the paint and then it would start to drip.

If you do a lot of spraying it is a good gun but keep it clean. Take it apart after every use. By that I mean pull the needle and the nozzle and the needle seat and leave those parts in lacquer thinner.

To spray dyes you will need the smallest needle. since it is on a cup you are limited to spraying right side up. You can take the cup off and get a small pressure pot. No need for that big a pot just for using dyes.

I'd suggest a touch up gun. Looks like that gun but a miniature size. You can get them with the cup on top or on bottom.

"wood does not do well outside.....well....except for trees"

Last edited by VIFmike; 09-01-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode