First Spray gun - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
The Man
Masterofnone's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 758
View Masterofnone's Photo Album My Photos
First Spray gun

My dad found in his treasure's he's accumulated over the years a Binks 2001 model spray gun and gave it to me (as he already has a spray gun.) I don't know how old it is, but I do know it's one of the older types where the liquid gets siphoned out of the cup rather than pressure fed. It's clean and disassembles easily. It was used to spray latex paint so I'm guessing the fluid needle/nozzle is around or above a 2.

Dad already has a compressor (ingersoll-rand 20gallon with a water extractor). What else would I need to get started spraying water-based dyes?

Masterofnone is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Sawdust Mill Operator
VIFmike's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wylie Texas
Posts: 666
View VIFmike's Photo Album My Photos
A Binks 2001 is not very old. We used to use them spraying CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating) on MRAP (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected) trucks back in 2008/2009. It's made for a pressure pot system. We bought just the guns and used them on HF pressure pots then eventually made our own system that held 9 gallons in each tank.

Most auto paint stores and Sherwin Williams stores stock all the replacement parts for them. The seal kit, the needle, needle seat etc. Plus they also stock several sizes of needle and nozzle for whatever style paint you are using.

BTW the CARC is real thick and abrasive so we used the largest needle and Nozzle and had to change them once a month. The needle would get a groove worn in it from the paint and then it would start to drip.

If you do a lot of spraying it is a good gun but keep it clean. Take it apart after every use. By that I mean pull the needle and the nozzle and the needle seat and leave those parts in lacquer thinner.

To spray dyes you will need the smallest needle. since it is on a cup you are limited to spraying right side up. You can take the cup off and get a small pressure pot. No need for that big a pot just for using dyes.

I'd suggest a touch up gun. Looks like that gun but a miniature size. You can get them with the cup on top or on bottom.

"wood does not do well outside.....well....except for trees"

Last edited by VIFmike; 09-01-2012 at 09:10 AM.
VIFmike is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Spray gun Rick Mosher Wood Finishing 0 05-28-2012 12:57 AM
!st spray gun TomC Wood Finishing 4 07-23-2010 11:43 AM
Spray Guns splinter2 Wood Finishing 5 06-17-2010 01:26 PM
what do i need to spray Dvoigt Wood Finishing 14 05-01-2009 09:25 PM
Spray Dye, Wipe Dye, or Spray Tinted Lacquer djonesax Wood Finishing 6 01-21-2009 12:49 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome