First Project- How would I stain wood like this? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 08-10-2015, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

View HarryS's Photo Album My Photos
First Project- How would I stain wood like this?

Hello! This is my first forum post, very excited to get into woodworking. This is my first project and I'm building a desk, I went to Home Depot yesterday and told them what I was looking for and since this desk is going to be a sewing workstation/laptop area I decided to make the desk 6 ft. wide and 3 feet deep using three 1ft. wide planks that they'll cut for me for the top of the desk.

This picture is where I got my inspiration for the desk and primarily exactly what I'm going for. How would I get my wood to look like this? I imagine he stained it but it has several different tones/colors it seems. Any ideas on how I would stain my wood to look like this? It looks amazing! How would I stain my wood this way is the main question, even wood recommendation. Do you think I'm on the right track wth my idea as far as building it as well? Thank you guys so much, I'm so excited to get this going!! (I'm also going to put glass on top of my desk when it's done like he has).
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-10-2015, 03:25 PM

View RandyReed's Photo Album My Photos
I think its Oak. You would stain the wood to whatever color you would want.

In this case, for the topcoat I think he used liquid glass. Its a bar top coating. You can find a video of it on youtube.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-10-2015, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyReed View Post
I think its Oak. You would stain the wood to whatever color you would want.

In this case, for the topcoat I think he used liquid glass. Its a bar top coating. You can find a video of it on youtube.
I believe he has glass on top of his table but we're you meaning that the wood itself looks shiny as well? Because I was going to shellac it or something to make it look shiny at the end. But as far as the color itself it looks like he used 2 stains or something, it has like a honey/dark brown thing going on, then streaks of cherry looking stain or something running through it. It has several different tones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-10-2015, 03:49 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I'm guessing the wood is construction grade #2 yellow pine.

Note: You do know the boards won't be 12 inches wide. Take a tape measure and measure the boards. There is also a good chance they won't be flat either...and they may not be straight.

Personally I would suggest the 2x8's which will be about 7 1/2 inches wide and possibly closer to being flat. The only way to make 'em flat is to use a joiner.

Also, the picture you posted looks like a glass top is laying on the table. We have one just like it cut from 1/4 inch glass.

I have attached two different projects, each stained with Rustoleum KONA. The softer the wood, the darker the stain.

Good luck.
Hope this helps.
Mike
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (09-26-2015)
post #5 of 10 Old 08-10-2015, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
I'm guessing the wood is construction grade #2 yellow pine.

Note: You do know the boards won't be 12 inches wide. Take a tape measure and measure the boards. There is also a good chance they won't be flat either...and they may not be straight.

Personally I would suggest the 2x8's which will be about 7 1/2 inches wide and possibly closer to being flat. The only way to make 'em flat is to use a joiner.

Also, the picture you posted looks like a glass top is laying on the table. We have one just like it cut from 1/4 inch glass.

I have attached two different projects, each stained with Rustoleum KONA. The softer the wood, the darker the stain.

Good luck.
Hope this helps.
Mike
You're right he does have glass on top of his desk which is what I plan on doing once I finish my desk as well! Okay and thank you for the information regarding the wood, you're right because I don't believe the planks are 1ft. wide so I will have to measure it out. But they are about 1inch tall tho so they're pretty flat and look about ready to lay on when cut to the size length I want. But mainly regarding the color, could he have stained it with one color, light sanded it down after it dries and then stained it with another color to get those red accents running through the wood as well?

I want to try and make it 3 or 4 planks (slightly seperated so that you can see the lines in between just like the desk in my picture) and have it 6x3 ft. then put glass on top of the desk just like he has after its all done.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-10-2015, 05:36 PM

View RandyReed's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
I believe he has glass on top of his table but we're you meaning that the wood itself looks shiny as well? Because I was going to shellac it or something to make it look shiny at the end. But as far as the color itself it looks like he used 2 stains or something, it has like a honey/dark brown thing going on, then streaks of cherry looking stain or something running through it. It has several different tones.
Yeah, I think it is a glass top now that Im looking at it on my PC, looked different on my phone. More than likely its a honey oak color, washcoat, then a van dyke brown wipe stain followed by a sealer than a high gloss lacquer.

It still looks like oak to me, but I could be wrong. Kinda hard to tell.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-10-2015, 05:53 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Harry,
I agree with MT and Randy. The picture shows to be Pine boards. And even though you get them cut to length, you will still need to plane the edges.
The variation in the color is from the grain of the Pine. Light and dark.
Most likely a high gloss finish after staining with a Walnut stain.
The glass top should be made of tempered glass.
Good luck with your project.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-10-2015, 05:54 PM

@Harry - if you look at my pictures, you will see light and dark areas. That is the different grain in the wood used. The softer stuff soaks the stain better than the hard part of the board.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-10-2015, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Harry,
I agree with MT and Randy. The picture shows to be Pine boards. And even though you get them cut to length, you will still need to plane the edges.
The variation in the color is from the grain of the Pine. Light and dark.
Most likely a high gloss finish after staining with a Walnut stain.
The glass top should be made of tempered glass.
Good luck with your project.
Sorry I had to look on YouTube so see what planing was haha! So planing is making sure all boards are evenly aligned at a right angle?

And back to the color, so are those red tones that go through the wood natural? Is there pine that naturally has tones like that or do you think he used two stains possibly? I'm trying to get that walnut/honey looking color he has but with the red tones that go through it. The red tones/streaks are what make it looks so different and nice to me. Thank you guys so much for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1439247086623.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	177257  

Last edited by HarryS; 08-10-2015 at 06:51 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-10-2015, 08:02 PM

Only some test pieces will tell for sure. If you are serious about your project, buy some small containers of several stains you are considering and make a test on a piece of the same wood you will be using for the table. Stain and then apply your finish so you will have a first hand look at the finished product. Lighting makes a difference so set your sample in the location the table will occupy and look at it for a couple of days in different lighting situations.

I can't help you with colors because I am partially color blind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode