finishing outdoor pine table - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 1 Old 07-04-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

View belgianbillie1's Photo Album My Photos
finishing outdoor pine table

I am building an outdoor table for on my patio. It is made out of pine. I know cedar would have been better, but the table would have cost too much so i am willing to try it with pine and a good finish. The top of the table has a herringbone pattern

https://rogueengineer.com/diy-x-leg-...g-table-plans/

What finish should i use?
Cabot penetrating timber oil
Spar Marine Varnish
Penofin
Thompson water sealer

Many of the penetrating oil ones seem to indicate that i can only do 1 coat. I presume you have to just apply another one each year or two years without sanding? Or should i do penetrating oil everywhere, but then a varnish on the top part with the herringbone pattern to make it easier to clean?

I think a varnish might be better, but i cannot really do every board of the chevron 8 times, the fitting would be off etc. Can i just do over top. Or even better, could i just do penetrating oil / mineral spirits soak for the end grains and then add a coat of the cabot timber oil everywhere else. I would then follow it up with a mix of the cabot and a marine varnish. followed up with several marine varnish coats for the top.
Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode