Finishing help please - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 09-24-2020, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

View daphniesman04's Photo Album My Photos
My daughter wants me to paint her desk white but she wants it shiny, glossy, glassy smooth. How do I do it. She wants her new desk painted white but with the same smooth finish like the picture below. Can it be done? I m sure it can
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200907_162336_1600987081313.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	395893  

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 71574_1600987359836.jpeg (122.4 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by daphniesman04; 09-24-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-24-2020, 07:44 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
It can be done with care and effort. Something like the finish below will produce gloss white.

It’s best if you can spray it. In other case, you’ll need to sand between coats until the surface is DEAD flat. When you do the final coat, you’ll again need to sand flat and then polish back to gloss. A high gloss finish shows every imperfection.

https://www.targetcoatings.com/produ...-tint-lacquer/
post #3 of 8 Old 09-24-2020, 09:27 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
With paint you might not be able to get that much gloss but pretty close. Anything suspended in a finish dulls the sheen and the pigment in the enamel would slightly dull it. Paint can have a clear coating put over it but it would have to be an acrylic coating because varnishes yellow. I don't like putting a clear coating over paint because if the finish is damaged it's difficult to touch up.

It's going to need a lot of surface preparation. The clear coating has a lot of defects in it that don't show up much now but with white paint you will see every one of them. I would recommend having the clear coating under the white. somebody may want to put it back as a stained finish someday and the clear will prevent the paint from penetrating into the wood.

Assuming it is a varnish or polyurethane roughen the surface with 180 grit paper and put an oil based white primer on it. From there you could fill any defects with a wood putty, vinyl Spackle ore even bondo. Then sand the putty level and put another coat of primer on and see what it looks like. Really look it over good, Places that are hard to see in the primer will stick out like a sore thumb. Once you think you have it perfect sand it with a 220grit paper and then use a sprayer and apply a high gloss enamel. Would probably take two coats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-24-2020, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

So,would this be recommended for a computer desk if the finish would be so fragile? What about a poor on resin style product?
post #5 of 8 Old 09-25-2020, 06:53 AM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
I have never done it but with a high quality white paint but what would happen if if you rubbed it with pumice and then rottenstone, and then a beeswax polish?.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-25-2020, 07:03 AM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
I just wanted to add that's a beautiful desk and I wouldn't do it myself, I would buy her a new white desk.
My daughter is always bringing me painted furniture to me to strip and refinish to show the beauty of the wood.
One daughter wanted to paint her bedroom walls black, that was a no go, they don't always make the best decisions at first.

Last edited by redeared; 09-25-2020 at 07:06 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-25-2020, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Now that is one option I did not know I had I am new to Woodworking and finishing are you saying I could apply a wax of some sort and buff that wax so a sheen
post #8 of 8 Old 09-25-2020, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

I like the idea of putting a protective layer down to protect the wood in case they ever change their mind about wanting to stain and Polly. But if I could apply any wax over that paint I'm off that that might be and idea. I saw a YouTube video last night where someone buffed the polyurethane to a nice finish but it was clear not painted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode