Finishing Cherry Crib - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 05-13-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

View Lazyfisher's Photo Album My Photos
Question Finishing Cherry Crib

Hello All.

I'm new to this forum and a novice woodworker. I do have several projects under my belt and they have all been in solid red oak. While I'm happy with the way they turned out; they are not exceptional finishes.

The project I'm asking advice on is a crib/day bed/twin bed I am making for our soon to be arriving daughter! My wood choice for this was cherry. One of the major reasons I choose cherry is a table my grandfather built for my parents. Over the years - decades - the wood has taken on a wonderful deep rich cherry color. He left the table unfinished.

I don't want to stain the wood. And I don't think that leaving the wood unprotected in a child's room would add any longevity to the piece. Which I hope she will be able to use for her childeren one day. Additionally the finish needs to be child safe.

I've read a bit about finishes and have been more confused than helped. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Eric
'God does not deduct from a man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-14-2009, 06:31 AM
Woodworking Firefighter

View firefighteremt153's Photo Album My Photos
Lazyfisher, I was in your exact shoe's this time last year. I was trying to figure out what type of finish to put on my son's crib that I built. Well I did all kinds of research and from everything that read, you can use most any finish you want b/c after it has cured it's completely safe. I chose a wipe on poly for my crib and so far so good. Don't forget to post pictures of the crib..

........................www.Jeremydillardwoodworking.com.........................

"Only those who risk going too far, can possibly know how far they can go"
post #3 of 4 Old 05-14-2009, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

View Lazyfisher's Photo Album My Photos
Firefighter,

Thanks for the input! I had come to the same conculsion about the finish be 'safe' after it has cured. I've thought long about using a Poly finish. My problem with it is, from my limited understanding, is a poly finish won't allow the cherry to to turn that deep rich red I want it to eventually have.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-14-2009, 06:19 PM

View Jim Tank's Photo Album My Photos
There are some remarkable water based finishes these days that are "water white" with UV ray inhibitors so your piece will age slow and natural. Minwax makes one and is availiable at most hardwares or lumberyards. I have recommended it to other folks and they are very happy with the results. I use water white conversion varnish with an HVLP air-assisted airless sprayer. That's the way to go if your getting into serious production, but it doesn't sound like it. Yeah, be sure to post some pics.

Tags
cherry, laquer, shellac, varnish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode