Finishing Alder Doors, Want an flat natural look. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 10-13-2014, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

View King S's Photo Album My Photos
Finishing Alder Doors, Want an flat natural look.

I have 10 Alder interior doors that need to be protected/finished. I am trying to match the condo's front door, which is very natural looking with almost no sheen. At first I questioned whether it was finished at all. The HOA board assured me that they were, but couldn't tell me what product were used. Any help on what to use to protect these doors with a natural almost unfinished look would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Rick Mosher

View Rick Mosher's Photo Album My Photos
Are you able to spray? That would make a difference when referring a product. I would think something in a 5 to 10 degree sheen would be what you are looking for.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-13-2014, 03:04 PM

View RandyReed's Photo Album My Photos
You can apply a thin washcoat, scuff sand with 320 grit, then as Rick suggested a 5 sheen would do the trick. I would also reduce the 5 sheen with 25% thinner to reduce the solids and not give you much build. Apply an even coat. That will give you then look as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-13-2014, 03:17 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
For what you are doing I would use a Danish oil finish. Depending on the color if you are going to use stain it is best to use a pre-stain conditioner first. Watco makes their Danish oil finish in many different colors but it would probably be easiest to stain it first and use clear. There probably isn't enough variation in stain colors you could intermix them to achieve the color you need.

Tags
alder, door finishing, natural finish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode