finish that won't bind over time - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 12-27-2008, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

View danmc91's Photo Album My Photos
finish that won't bind over time

I couldn't decide if this was best asked on wood working or construction forum...

I have an access panel in my master bath for accessing the breaker and pump for a whirlpool tub. The original builder just screwed a painted piece of plywood over the opening in the drywall and it looked awful. I'm finishing remodeling that room and what I did was to frame the hole in the drywall, embed magnets in the frame, build a door that consists of a door frame of 1x2's with magnets embedded in it that slides into the framed opening. Then there is a piece of fiberboard glued onto the door frame to make the actual door. It has more magnets glued on the backside. The idea is one should really never need to open this panel so I didn't want a handle. It is held in place magnetically and to open it, you just use a large magnet to grab the front of the panel and pull it out.

Now for my real question. I'm concerned that if I paint both the framing around the opening in the wall and the small panel door that over time the paint in contact with paint will stick and the panel will never open. Yet this is in a bathroom so I hate to not paint or otherwise finish any wood due to the humidity. Is there a good finish I can use for the two surfaces which will be in contact with each other where I won't end up with them stuck to each other after a year?

I attached pictures of the access panel with cover in place as well as the framed opening and the panel alone. Hopefully those will make it more clear what I'm describing.

Many thanks in advance.
-Dan (who hopes to have time for woodworking again once this !#@$ remodeling project is over)
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Most of the ones that I've done there's not much that is needed to hold it in place. They usually sit on an inner edge, and all that's needed really is a magnet to hold the top in place. If you're really concerned you could use a magnetic touch latch that is used for cabinet doors, that would "pop" out enough to grab it. If you just paint it, you could just periodically dust the mating surfaces with baby powder.

post #3 of 6 Old 12-27-2008, 09:29 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Dan,
If you think the chances of going in to service the pump are very slim, why not just drywall over it and leave it alone. If the pump goes bad, cut a hole in the drywall, fix the pump, repair the drywall. Take a picture if you want of where the hole needs to be and tape it inside the vanity. Done. I have built cabinet front style accesses on the fronts of whirlpool tubs with removable panels. I don't mind seeing those because normally they fit into an eye-pleasing scheme of things. I hate seeing stand alone access panels. I know inspectors usually insist on them, but I think they are a waste of time and an eyesore. Drywall is the easiest and cheapest thing to repair (assuming you can do it yourself).
Mike Hawkins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-27-2008, 12:30 PM

View raskgle's Photo Album My Photos
paint

the best way i use is to paint them by their self. that means no seal together. hope this helps. Carl
post #5 of 6 Old 12-27-2008, 08:20 PM

View mainzy's Photo Album My Photos
I'm thinking you should use something with the least binding properties such as water based flat.

but then it will not be as water resistant.

maybe if you paint just the place where they are in contact.

That might be a good place for some of that contact paper.
I think you can still get it.

anyway good luck and God Bless;Mainzy
post #6 of 6 Old 12-28-2008, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

View danmc91's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by raskgle View Post
the best way i use is to paint them by their self. that means no seal together. hope this helps. Carl
I'm just worried that taking two painted surfaces, even dry ones, and then placing them in contact with each other over an extended period of time will cause them to eventually stick to each other.

Firehawk: I've had to reset the breaker which is down there maybe once a year when things like a wash cloth cover up the intake so drywalling it in isn't an option for me. I agree they are an eyesore. You should have seen it before. But thats why I wanted a flush panel without a big handle or anything. Low key look.

Mainzy: Contact paper isn't a bad idea. I could paint both surfaces, then cover 1 with contact paper to prevent any sticking. The contact paper would only be visible when the panel is open.

Thanks everyone.

-Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode