Finish/Sheet Sanders - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By shoot summ

post #1 of 8 Old 05-17-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Birding Psychosis

View Thorn495's Photo Album My Photos
Finish/Sheet Sanders

I have a random orbital sander and recently been looking for new tools to play with. I was wondering if there are any real benefits in adding a finish sander to my woodworking arsenal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-17-2017, 10:10 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
A good random orbit sander should produce a finish sanded surface.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-17-2017, 10:10 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I haven't had a sheet sander in about 30 years. Sanding wood it was only good for sanding curved surfaces. It made better use for between the coats sanding doing finishing work. The last one I had was a Porter Cable Speed Bloc sander.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-19-2017, 03:39 AM

View Jig_saw's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn495 View Post
I have a random orbital sander and recently been looking for new tools to play with. I was wondering if there are any real benefits in adding a finish sander to my woodworking arsenal?
Yes, a finish sander (half-sheet or quarter-sheet) is a useful addition to your sanding tools. For one thing, it does not leave swirl marks as an ROS does, and can be used to remove the swirl marks left by ROS in the final sanding step. That is why it is called a 'finish sander'. Secondly, it can get into corners where an ROS cannot and hence provides greater coverage.

I have 3 half-sheet sanders and use them often on my projects.

Keep thy axe sharp.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-19-2017, 05:56 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig_saw View Post
Yes, a finish sander (half-sheet or quarter-sheet) is a useful addition to your sanding tools. For one thing, it does not leave swirl marks as an ROS does, and can be used to remove the swirl marks left by ROS in the final sanding step. That is why it is called a 'finish sander'. Secondly, it can get into corners where an ROS cannot and hence provides greater coverage.

I have 3 half-sheet sanders and use them often on my projects.
Which brand of 1/2 sheet sander do you own? Do you prefer one over another? I have Craftsman, too much vibration, and Milwaukee, the best I've found with little vibration.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 8 Old 05-19-2017, 07:15 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 1/4 sheet(speedbloc) and 1/2 sheet(Rockwell) that haven't been used in 20 years. I think I'm emotionally attached to them from all of the hand numbness they gave me over the years.

A good RO is all I use now.

I plan my sanding, large parts are sanded before they are assembled, I don't have to deal with sanding in corners.
Catpower likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-19-2017, 10:52 AM

View Jig_saw's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Which brand of 1/2 sheet sander do you own? Do you prefer one over another? I have Craftsman, too much vibration, and Milwaukee, the best I've found with little vibration.
I have a Skil, a Metabo, and a Bosch. Metabo has the least vibration and Skil is the loudest. Where I live, Milwaukee is very highly priced due to import and shipping costs.

Last edited by Jig_saw; 05-19-2017 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 8 Old 05-19-2017, 12:40 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
If you do want a good finish sander see it you can find a used Rockwell/ Porter Cable 505, they were sanding beasts, but I have two and the RO sanders have done all my sanding for many years

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode