Woodworking Talk banner

finish on router table

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  thekctermite 
#1 ·
I built a router table and the top is 1.5" of MDF and laminated with 1/4 oak ply. What would be the best finish to put on this in order to keep the top smooth during use? Thanks, Jeremy

#4 ·
I wanted to put the laminate on it but couldn't justify buy a full sheet for 40.00 when the rest of the table is made from leftover scraps. I think I;m gonna try your way mark except use some rub on poly I already have and then finish with paste wax. Here's a pic of the finished table.

Attachments

#5 ·
Next time, if there is a next time, you can get some laminate pretty cheap from lowes or home depot. Ask them for cut-offs, or find a damaged sheet. I got a complete sheet with a crack, more than enough to laminate both sides of my table, for half price. That is a nice looking table by the way.

#6 ·
Thanks dafeesh, My local HD doesn't carry laminate and the lowes here has it in stock but when I was shopping for some they didn't have anything damaged. They even called some other stores for me but no luck. If I find some cheap then I will buy it just for future uses. I'm that guy who always goes straight to the bargain bin looking for good deal. 3 days ago I got a half sheet of 3/4 birch CG for $4.00. Thats what I like to find..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.