Woodworking Talk banner

Danish oil mishap

12K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Catpower 
#1 ·
Just finished building a cedar grilling cart and applied Danish oil as a finish. The grain really popped and looks great but the sticky excess oil that has formed does not!

I initially applied the oil heavily and then removed all excess: the cedar soaked up this first application as expected and I let it be for 15 mins and then applied a second coat again wiping off the excess. Shook the danish oil can thoroughly throughout this process by the way.

48 hours later what I am left with looks like I applied polyurethane instead of Danish oil: heavy, sticky sections which are now starting to cure. I was thinking that the Danish oil would give the cedar a sort of matte or satin finish but definitely not shiny like a polyurethane coated surface. (See attached photos)

I tried using 0000 steel wool with mineral spirits in an inconspicuous spot and that seemed to remove the cured excess. I think I will need to do this to the entire project unless anyone has another solution. I read that you can use fresh Danish oil with steel wool to rub out these issues and then wipe down everything thoroughly once again. Any suggestions you fine folks have are greatly appreciated!

Gus

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
With a Danish oil you never apply it and let it dry. The excess should always be wiped off. Since it's sticky wipe what you have with mineral spirits and remove the sticky. Then apply another coat of Danish oil and let it sit for a few minutes and wipe off the excess.

The way to work a Danish oil finish is to sand the wood to a finer grit than if you were putting a varnish on it. Then apply the oil finish and keep applying for about a half hour or so until it seems like it's just not going to absorb any more. Then wipe off the excess and let dry. In the next few days if the wood looks dead and dry apply another coat and allow it to sit for a few minutes and wipe off the excess. Depending on the type of wood you may have to do this several times if the wood is drinking up all the finish.

#3 ·
Thanks. I tried buffing with 0000 steel wool and Danish oil which helped alot. I may try the steel wool with mineral spirits in another location and compare. Some pieces are almost 100% dry now so I may need to be more aggressive with my removal. We'll see.

So, using Danish oil and assuming it's applied 100% correctly what should the finish look like? Shiny finish? Matte? I was hoping for matte but may be able to achieve that with steel wool or synthetic steel wool.

#4 ·
It should be a matte finish, but if you sanded the wood to a high gloss it could be kind of glossy, but I don't see that happening with cedar

I have used Danish oil for years and one way I do it works pretty good, apply and just let it soak in over night then reapply it, the new oil will soften the first coat and it will wipe right up.

Not sure if it is any better then letting it set for 30-60 minutes just figured a little more penetration

And with some things more penetration is a good thing LOL

#7 ·
you should never really use steel wool on anything wood.
Eventually, you will have very tiny black specs on the surface which is the steel wool shards left behind and are now rusting.
This may take a year or two and you will be wondering what these mystery dots are.
Then again, it may never happen to you .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.